Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 12 gauge 3" shotgun for ducks? >

12 gauge 3" shotgun for ducks?

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

12 gauge 3" shotgun for ducks?

Old 06-19-2004, 12:26 AM

Default 12 gauge 3" shotgun for ducks?

Hello, I think i'm going to be getting a mossberg 500, 12 gauge 3" pump action. Woud this be a good gun for ducks, upland birds, and geese? Are the 3" shells more expensive than 2 3/4 inch shells? Would they ruin alot of the meat in the game?

thanks mark
Old 06-19-2004, 01:36 AM

Default RE: 12 gauge 3" shotgun for ducks?

Hello Mark,
The gun you described would be an ideal all around gun. I would go with 2 3/4" shells for upland with lead 5 shot being a good all around for pheasant. I would suggest either 2's, 1's or BB's for ducks. I have a Browning BPS 3 1/2" 12 gage that I use for ducks and geese. I use a 3" shell although the 2 3/4" shells are loaded the same with steel. I like #2 steel for early season ducks such as teal. I like #1 and BB's for bigger ducks like Mallards. Get the fastest steel load you can get. 1 1/8 oz. loads at 1500 fps. or faster will work fine. Later in the season I go to 1 1/4 oz loads. I like Federal HHV loads. For geese, I would say go with a 3" shell loaded with some Federal HHV BBB in either 1 1/4 or 1 3/8 oz. loads. You will pay in the neighbor hood of 10 to 15 dollars per box for these. I buy my shells in the off season ( right now). They are usually on sale at some point. The local large outdoor chain here has the shells I just described for $9.99 per box of 25. I like my 3 1/2" 12 with 1 1/2 oz of BBB for large Canada geese. I shoot a more open choke than most also. I use improved cylinder for all of my shooting except late season, when I switch to modified. Remember.... with steel, the choke needs to be opened up by one. Meaning, If you would normally shoot full choke with lead shot, you need to put in a modified for steel. Steel shoots tighter than lead. Most chokes are marked for both lead and steel now. Mine say, Improved lead, modified steel. Modified lead, full steel. And Full, lead only. I have a Browning Citori Lightening that I shoot pheasants with and sometimes I use it for ducks as well. I have the bottom barrel improved and the top barrel modified. I keep them that way all year long. In fact, the only time I ever put in a full choke, is when I go Turkey hunting. I hope this helps you out. Go ahead and buy that Mossberg, they are a good gun and will serve you very well.
Old 06-19-2004, 07:28 AM
Typical Buck

the above post is a good one.

you may also want to consider a remington 870.

get a matte black finish as opposed to wood. it will probably cost less and is more durable. don't buy a camo finish, it's a waste of money imo.
Old 06-19-2004, 08:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

I had good luck with 2 3/4 and 3" federal speed shok in #3's for ducks last year, you can kill anything with a 3" shell. For geese i prefer 3 1/2" but i have killed lots with 3" shells using BB shot, 3" hevi-shot is really good for geese in #2's, have funa and good luck with your shotgun.
Old 06-19-2004, 11:09 AM

Thanks guys

mark
Old 06-19-2004, 02:24 PM

Default troutdudes

Look into the Remington 870 Super Mag. Then you have the choice of either shooting anything from the 2 3/4 to the 3 1/2. Thats the gun I have and I love it.
Old 06-19-2004, 05:31 PM

Hey guys, I'm allowed to get the mossberg 500!!!! I'm 13 and this is going to be awesome!!!
Old 06-19-2004, 05:32 PM

Thanks for your help
Old 06-19-2004, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

COOL You should enjoy your new gun!! Take good care of it and it will take care of you!
Old 06-20-2004, 12:05 AM

Cool Mark!
There's nothing like getting your first shotgun. I still remember way back when I got my first. It was an old Smith and Wesson Eastfield pump. I shot lots of birds with that gun. Good luck this season and remember, safety is the most important thing. Go out and shoot lots of clays this summer. Get familiar with your gun and learn to shoot it well. Congrats on the gun.
Viking_hunter

Quick Reply: 12 gauge 3" shotgun for ducks?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.