Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 Water vs. Weighted keel??????? >

Water vs. Weighted keel???????

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Water vs. Weighted keel???????

Old 04-22-2004, 02:17 PM
Spike

Default Water vs. Weighted keel???????

Although ive hunted the last 2 seasons here in CO im just now gettin into a position to purchase some decoys of my own. I am looking for some input on the water and weighted keels, advantages disadvantages and such. Im looking at these greenhead gear dekes in Macks and was wondering what i should purchase. I hunt mostly ponds and lakes but to on occasion do some river hunting. Im also looking at buying some goose shells since we saw alotta geese around here the last 2 years, figure it couldnt hurt. Your thoughts anyone?..............
Old 04-22-2004, 07:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Water vs. Weighted keel???????

Odviously weighted are more expensive than water that's one difference. Are you going to be carrying these decoys a long distance on your back? If the answer is yes then go with the water keel with out a doubt. I've tried humping 3 dozen weighted keel dekes 1 mile and it's not fun at all in fact it pretty much sucks. If you don't have to carry your decoys a long distance and if you have the money go with the weighted keel they don't tip over in a strong wind, you can throw them out and they right themselves you don't have to tip every one up right manually, and I think they ride better in the water.

I just bought some of those greenhead gear decoys last year. I got the bluebills and put them on a long line for a big water spread and they work great there's nothing wrong with them at all.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:17 PM
Typical Buck

If you pack them in w/o a doubt I would go with water, though the weighted do ride better in current and wind.
Old 04-23-2004, 12:54 AM

since I hike in,I use water keels....the water current also helps provide movement while moving through the keels
Old 04-23-2004, 08:24 AM
Typical Buck

i have sworn never to carry in weighted magnum dekes when i hunt. there were only 3 or 4 of the weighted keels in the bag, but the things seems to weigh a ton.

now, all my decoy bags just have water keel dekes in them with the anchor cord wrapped around the keel. in my boat is where i keep all the weighted keel dekes, all of them are in groups of 15 or so and held together with one carabiner per group. this a better and quicker method of storing dekes as opposed to a decoy bag when you have a boat.

you can always buy water keels and convert them to weighted. just put a strap of lead in the keel and bend it or screw it in place. converting back to water is a snap.
Old 04-24-2004, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would definately go with weighted keel decoys. Only about 15-20 dollars more and I think you'll be happier with them. Just MHO so do what you want but I think you'd be better off with the weighted keel dekes.
Old 04-27-2004, 05:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

I prefer water keel dekes they are lighter and I feel that they work as well as weighted keel dekes, I am no expert and have little experience with the weighted keel ones, but altogether I am happy with what I have.
Old 05-08-2004, 10:53 PM
Spike

Thanx for all the input guys. Think im gonna go with the water keels since i do tend to do some hikin into my little honey holes
Old 05-21-2004, 08:39 PM

without a doubt i would go with weighted keel they are maybe a little hevier but they a lot easier to set out then water
Old 05-21-2004, 10:06 PM

Both wrk geat and have aplace in my spread. But If I am packing 2 or 3 dozen in over a distance water is the way to go. If I can drive up to the area or I am hunting out of the boat I use both 8-10dz about 1/4 water and the rest weighted.. Either ones work great.

Quick Reply: Water vs. Weighted keel???????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.