HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Waterfowl Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting-7/)
-   -   3 1/2 vs. 3" (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting/53666-3-1-2-vs-3-a.html)

jepcho 02-28-2004 04:10 PM

RE: 3 1/2 vs. 3"

I just bought a Remington 11-87 with 3.5" chamber. I went with the 3.5" mainly because I am going to be hunting turkeys with it. But even if I dont always shoot 3.5's out of it...I always CAN if I need to.

Chinchy 02-29-2004 08:19 AM

TomyD
I did`nt make any kind of statement about killing birds at extreme ranges,or that the 3 1/2 kills bird`s 20 yrds farther than a 3". I have hunted long enough I don`t need any lecture on hunting ethics or killing ranges! I simlpy stated it WILL kill birds that are out of range of the standard 3",only makes sense. Even if you only gain the 5 yrd`s you state,that is still 5 extra yrds for a" KILLING SHOT" on a flareing bird! The simple fact is a 3 1/2 carries more shot & delivers it at greater speed,so it will provide more knock down power no matter the range! My standard way to load is 3" first then the 3 1/2 for EXTRA RANGE, it a option that you don`t have with a standard 3" chambered gun!!

MtnGuy75 03-04-2004 11:22 PM

Well me ein a newbie at this i bought my BPS in a 3.5 just from a stand point that i got it on sale at the same price of the 3". Just thought what the heck? If i ever wanna shot the big loads i can, ive found that the 3"ers seem to work fine within range and im poor so all i shoot is steel. i guess im tryin to say is............everyone to there own ;)

WaterfowlXtreme 03-05-2004 06:56 PM

I'm no ballistics expert but I think a 3" mag will shoot harder than a 3.5 for the simple reason that you have the same amount of powder pushing a smaller load of shot. But I will also say I shoot 3.5" guns and shells because it's a personal preference that bigger is better and I might need those extra BB's to hit what I'm shooting at.

JoeA 03-08-2004 11:54 AM

The simple fact is a 3 1/2 carries more shot & delivers it at greater speed,so it will provide more knock down power no matter the range!
Chincy,
Maybe they make 3.5" shells differently for waterfowl than turkeys, but 3" shells go faster & hit harder down range than 3.5" The 3.5" has more shot, but the increase in shot weight is not proportional to the increase in powder. That kind of stress on a gun will wear it out faster. Go to your local range, and pattern 3" & 3.5" shells on paper. You may be in for a surprise.

plainsman 03-09-2004 02:01 PM

ORIGINAL: JoeA

The simple fact is a 3 1/2 carries more shot & delivers it at greater speed,so it will provide more knock down power no matter the range!
Chincy,
Maybe they make 3.5" shells differently for waterfowl than turkeys, but 3" shells go faster & hit harder down range than 3.5" The 3.5" has more shot, but the increase in shot weight is not proportional to the increase in powder. That kind of stress on a gun will wear it out faster. Go to your local range, and pattern 3" & 3.5" shells on paper. You may be in for a surprise.
Looking at the ballistics chart, I'd say the speed/hitting power "advantage" of 3" is, at best, nominal. The 3 1/2", 1 3/8 load moving at 1550 looks like a hell of a goose load to me. http://www.kentgamebore.com/public/products/fasteel.asp

Carpmaster 03-16-2004 08:22 AM

The extra payload in the 3.5" is worth it for turkey and waterfowl, not to extend range, but to provide a more dense patern for cleaner kills. Dead is dead anyway you look at it, last I checked. The 3.5" just makes more birds dead for me than wounded. Last year i shot 3.5" exclusively for ducks and geese and had my best season with kill percentage.

ncwannabeduckhunter 03-16-2004 05:14 PM

well guys thanks for the info , i think im gonna get a 3.5 super x2 or a browning gold

plainsman 03-17-2004 04:40 PM

Both very good choices, best of luck!!

Carpmaster 03-19-2004 10:28 AM

In response to the 1 3/8 oz loads moving at 1550 fps, kents fasteel loads and federals speed shok loads both work awesome for ducks and geese. I used both last fall and their performance was awesome compared to standard steel loads.