Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 How did you get hooked on duck hunting? >

How did you get hooked on duck hunting?

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

How did you get hooked on duck hunting?

Old 02-16-2004, 05:58 PM

Default How did you get hooked on duck hunting?

I got hooked the first day I went out and didn't fire once. It was fun though watching the flocks of ducks flying over out of shooting range and just fly around. My dad made me go out even though I didn't feel like it. But I should've went out early. I love it. How did you get started into duck hunting.
Old 02-16-2004, 07:29 PM
Spike

Default RE: How did you get hooked on duck hunting?

The very first time I went duck hunting I hated every second of it. I had a cheap pair of waders that werent insulated. So I about froze to death. And I had never even walked in waist deep water with mud, so I got Baptized going out to the pockets. So now Im wet and cold. Well I figured I would stick it out. Well the teal started coming in and I think I shot two boxes of shells, and never got a single duck. So I just about gave up. Well the next weekend we went to a different slough and I started hitting ducks. I was hooked then. Now I have some private land in two different places, that hold lots of ducks. And once in a while some geese will come in. Its amazing how I went from Hateing it to loving it. Wouldnt miss opening day for anything.
Old 02-17-2004, 12:22 AM
Fork Horn

It was born into me.
Old 02-28-2004, 08:20 PM

I agree with A5Mag12 i think it flows in my blood
Old 02-28-2004, 09:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I`d like to blame my father for getting me hooked on waterfowling. First time
out, I was 10, shot a Mallard with a singleshot 20ga. Been hooked ever since.

Ron

Old 02-29-2004, 07:06 AM
Typical Buck

i moved a few years ago, and changed jobs. it gave me more free time. so i started hunting doves (for the first time in 15 years, since high school), that was fun but i wanted to hunt something after the season was over. duck season started about the time dove season ended. then there was goose season, & spring turkey. the next year i applied for a deer tag and hunted them too.
Old 02-29-2004, 05:41 PM

I am blaming the teal. Was twelve years old, sitting in a rock pile in a cut corn field. The rain was falling, the fog was thick and was about 35 degrees. Couldn't have kept the teal out of that pothole with a hundred scarecrows and an artillery piece. I don't think I have ever had ducks come into a pond so well since, esp. since there were no decoys or camoflage involved. The fever waned over the years but was re-ignited when I finally got a really good duck call (same for geese), now I would be happy to call ducks into a spread and not fire a shot. Well, pretty much happy anyway
Old 03-02-2004, 12:24 PM

I was 10 years old when my grandfather needed a hunting partner for the day. I had an old 1898 Stevens 16 guage double barrel Indian Trading gun. He took me to the far edge of a large lake and we spread out a dozen or so old decoys. It was overcast, windy, drizzling and about 30 degrees. He put me in a bunch of bullrushes and told me to sit tight and he would be back. In an hour or so he came back to see over a hundred teal, mallards, and canvasbacks sitting in and around my decoys. He snuck down and wondered why I was shooting ducks. I told him he had told me to sit tight and wait and so I was (when Grandpa spoke I obeyed). Anyway that day he taught me how to get a bag the perfect 100 point menu. That was the Nebraska law back then. To this day, there is nothing more beautiful than calling in and buying 'the perfect 100 point' menu. So I blame my grandfather-may he rest in peace.
Old 03-02-2004, 05:05 PM

I went out with my dad when I was 3 and ever since then i've been hooked
Old 03-02-2004, 07:07 PM
Fork Horn

My dad first took me out when I was 6 and I've been doing it ever since

Quick Reply: How did you get hooked on duck hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.