Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 How did you get hooked on duck hunting? >

How did you get hooked on duck hunting?

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

How did you get hooked on duck hunting?

Old 03-07-2004, 09:00 PM

Default RE: How did you get hooked on duck hunting?

Well, let's see...

A friend ( I think ), asked me to go duck hunting. I had hunted small game and whitetails for 15 years prior to this invite. We paddled our canoes to his blind and set his dekes. After shooting time began, we had a couple mallards fly in. Once I missed the first duck, I think I became hooked!

OhioDuckHunter
Old 03-07-2004, 09:35 PM

When I was about 13 I got real drunk and said "Hey, I think I will take up duck hunting." (J/K)

My never duck hunted much, he was a turkey and upland man. I just got curious and started, and now thats all we hunt for in the winter. I love it. We had a good season this past winter.

Andy
Old 03-08-2004, 08:48 AM

A hunting buddy of mine had some friends over and he was saying how he couldnt take them hunting the next day. so i offered to take them because i had never gone and had a good pond with some ducks on it. Now i spend all my extra money on hunting ducks and geese.
Old 03-30-2004, 08:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

My dad was the reason that I am duck hunting. He used to take me when I was still in diapers, and I have never looked back! Duck hunting (heck all hunting and fishing) is a passion that I hope will never end, it is hard to beat the rush I get when wings are whistling overhead and finally the best two words in hunting are yelled......"TAKE 'EM"!!!
Old 03-31-2004, 03:15 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-31-2004, 03:53 PM

1st hunt, 1st shot, 1st duck. I was hooked.
Old 04-06-2004, 02:52 PM

I went once. It was all down hill from there
Old 04-29-2004, 01:14 PM
eck

Started for me back in '74 down in Oakwood Bottoms... a flooded empoundment of the Mississippi River down in extreme southern Illinois.

I just started my new job in the city's Engineering Dept. and the city engineers were both duck hunters. They got me started.

First day that I went with 'em we had a flock of 25-30 mallards drop right in on top of us... ducks literally landing at our feet.... as Oakwood Bottoms is a series of flooded pin oak groves... 'bout 24" deep in water... and those birds wanted bad to get into those fallen acorns to feed for a spell.

Well... with all these birds floating all around me... I looked at them... and they looked at me... and I swear that I could hear a couple of 'em say... "OH F*CK"... well, they just exploded when the first shot was fired.... what a racket... wings a beatin'... feathers everywhere. I gotta be honest here... I shot three times... and nary a bird fell on account of me. I couldn't believe it! lol.

But BOY... was I hooked.
Old 05-01-2004, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would have to say it’s my friends dad. He got me hooked on hunting birds, rabbits and fishing. I don’t know what I would be doing in the fall if it wasn’t for him..
Old 05-27-2004, 05:55 AM

Been hunting my whole life, but ducks weren't something we hunted in the Ozarks (very few Ducks). 5 Years ago I got transferred to Stuttgart, AR and siezed the moment. My company leased a field right off of Bayou Meto and I spent the entire season taking clients hunting. We had a guy working for us at the time who grew up hunting ducks and he showed me the in's and out's. I've since moved again, but my company retains the duck lease and I've acquired a few more places to hunt ducks. I'd say I was hooked before I ever went, the anticipation was building so much! The best part is, I still take business associates a few times a year so my company reimburses me for any money I spend on gear, clothing, shot, etc. How lucky can a guy be?

Quick Reply: How did you get hooked on duck hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.