Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

deocys for geese

Old 01-27-2004, 02:04 PM

Default deocys for geese

what kinds of decoys do you guys perfer for hunting geese in fields i was thinking about getting some texas rag decoys because i am planning on going out sometime and hunting snows and blues
Old 01-27-2004, 02:08 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: deocys for geese

I think that full bodies look the best IMO. But u can't really go out and but 2 dozen so... i would mix it up with some sillouetts or shells for canadians.
Old 01-28-2004, 11:06 PM

The best dekes on the market right now and very affordable.I'm getting two dozen for next year.
http://www.greenheadgear.com/goose_decoys.html
Old 01-29-2004, 04:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: plainsman

The best dekes on the market right now and very affordable.I'm getting two dozen for next year.
http://www.greenheadgear.com/goose_decoys.html
I'll second that. I hunted w/ a buddy of mine who bought a dozen or so and these dekes are extremely realistic. Only problem is the $$$.
Old 01-29-2004, 10:15 AM

Great decoys but are they worth the cost and all the effort to lug them to the field?
Old 01-30-2004, 01:11 AM

I'll be using shells as they are easier to transport and can double as floaters. Fullbodies are great, but a pain in the rear for transport and not versitile.As for the price, how much more in-expensive could you want for decoys of this caliber??Considering the price of Dropzones and Hardcores, the GHG are a steal.
Old 01-30-2004, 02:04 PM

I talked to Bill at Greenhead and he said that the full bodys and the floaters are going to be flocked right out of the box for this coming season, but the only way to keep the price down on the shells, was to leave them as is.

Which brings me to my Question on this topic.

I've hunted ducks for thirty years, but have never had any great opportunities to hunt geese, so I've been able to control myself fairly well, but all that has changed.
I have recently given in to the call of the goose and along with that has come some hasty decoy purchases. I bought some Bigfoot floaters and thought they were great until I purchased some Greenhead Gear shells. Now I'm unsure if I want to keep the Bigfoot floaters or return them and get the pre-flocked Greenhead Gear floaters that are coming out next fall and have every thing sort of match. I know there is a lot of difference in sub-species, but when the honkers we have around here crawled up on shore and nestled in amongst those shells, they looked identical. Up til then I was unsure about the shells and thought the Bigfoots were great, but now I'm unsure and that's why I'm asking you guys (and gals) for your opinions. I'm a little wound up.

Also I ordered six dozen Real Geese pro series honkers and wouldn't mind a little feedback on those.

Please reply

Boldt
Old 01-31-2004, 08:55 AM

Boldt,the Realgeese are great dekes,you'll love 'em.I was thinking about getting some but decided I'll stick to GHG shells instead.As for the shell heads being flocked, Tom and other prostaff at Avery have told me that the shell heads will indeed be flocked, along with all the other Canada heads and heads that will be sold seperately.I personally won't be buying anything but GHG from now on, they blow the competition away in price and realism.For more info,PM me, I'll get you all the facts as given out by the prostaff at GHG.
Old 01-31-2004, 05:57 PM

I have Bigfoot floaters, G&H floaters, Herters and Carrylite floaters and a dozen GHG floaters. IMO the Bigfoot look the most realistic on the water. My GHG only got used a couple times last fall and a couple are flaking paint pretty badly. I don't mind repainting decoys once in a while but I think they should hold paint longer than that. Forgot to mention that I have also some cork Canada decoys. These look good, ride the water good and have never been repainted in about 20 years. The drawback to the cork is the weight. As far as silhouettes the Realgeese are a real bargain and do work quite well. Since my old partner passed away 7 years ago they don't all get used as much. We used to take two boats, one just for decoys the other for the remaining decoys, dogs and us. I still hunt just don't take so many decoys out.
Old 02-01-2004, 02:18 AM

Thats realy sad to hear about your partner Gildy. I hunt by myself mainly, but I can only imagine what it would be like to lose a huntin buddy.

As far as the Greenhead decoys; I know it's a pain, but they're real good about standing behind their paint jobs and I bet they'd swap those out in a heartbeat.

Quick Reply: deocys for geese

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.