Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 Is it worth calling without decoys? >

Is it worth calling without decoys?

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Is it worth calling without decoys?

Old 01-02-2004, 06:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default Is it worth calling without decoys?

I am new to duck hunting this season and can't afford to buy decoys, but have got to be good enough with a call. Can you call ducks in shooting range without decoys setup?
Old 01-02-2004, 08:40 PM

Default RE: Is it worth calling without decoys?

You might can get some ducks to do a fly by , but I doubt if you can get them into good gun range without some kind of decoys...But , if I were you , right now is the best time to buy decoys and hunting gear in general....Store like bass pro and academy are putting all their gear on sale...I read today where Academy is putting decoys on sale , will be around fifteen or so dollars a dozen....Althought I dont think flambeaus are the greatest decoy out there , they will do great for a beginning hunter who hasnt got alot to invest up front..I'm sure some of the old time hunters here can tell you how to make a decent rig with two liter coke bottles or bleach jugs...
Old 01-03-2004, 02:37 AM

Call even if you don't have dekes, they'll come in close enough for wing shooting.After you start dropping them, set the dead ones out as decoys, just prop the heads up, trust me, it works!
As for decoys, the Flambeau's are inexpensive AND work quite fine, I've been using mine for two seasons now and still look like new.
BTW, effective range with 12 gauge 3" mag #3 shot is around 40 yd.Using a feed chatter, they should come in even just to investigate, it worked for me many times.
Good luck and good shooting
Old 01-03-2004, 05:41 AM
Fork Horn

Hey thanks, I'll remember that this morning. In the meantime I've got some dekes on the way via basspro. I didn't realize they were that cheap. Good luck. -Nathan
Old 01-03-2004, 04:43 PM
Fork Horn

If you hunting back in the timber, you don't need decoys..........
Old 01-07-2004, 11:05 AM

I called in about 10 mallards earlier this year while we were standing out in the open with the boat uncovered and the gear all packed and ready to go. Luckily, I always pack the shotgun last, and a few birds stayed with us to end the day. Ducks can be curious, so call with or without dekes, you might get some shots.
Old 01-07-2004, 01:53 PM
Typical Buck

a few years ago on a public marsh, everything (except the refuge pool which is off limits) was frozen over. one day i went out by the ice and stood by some trees. i did some calling when i saw ducks flying around. some of them would swing over for a closer look, not all of them were able to fly away.
Old 01-07-2004, 02:48 PM

i went for a walk while hunting the other day(slow day) and i got to the pond next to the pond the other guys were hunting on and they had some mallards circling hard. I Started calling like crazy just for kicks, thier mallards dove straight towards me and circled me about 4 times and then went down on the pond i was by. they got up and i shot and then they went down in front of the other guys. I bet they were mad at first
Old 01-08-2004, 04:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Some dekes are fairly cheap and you prolly don't need a lot. A dozen max for your 1st season. IMO - it's better to have dekes and no calling than no calling and having a decoy spread.
Old 01-08-2004, 01:29 PM
Typical Buck

Check out e-bay for decoys. Especially now, the season is winding down and a lot of people and stores are getting rid of thier old stuff and ecess inventories. Good time to go on e-bay and pick up some cheap deaks!!!!!

j

Quick Reply: Is it worth calling without decoys?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.