Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

2020 first duck

Old 10-28-2020, 04:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default 2020 first duck

Got my first duck of 2020 today. Its an interesting story.

Was setting up decoys in the water, when I heard a LOT of water movement 100 yards to my left. I thought, "Is that another hunter?" I did a feeding call with my duck call to see if it was another hunter. No response. Then, more movement. Wings flapping on the water. I was like, "WHAT IS GOING ON OVER THERE?"

I snuck over quietly, and discovered it was a flock of 12 mallard ducks. I got as close as I could, and aimed for a greenhead.

Shot one missed the greenhead, but hit a female close to it. In my state you are allowed 7 ducks a day, but no more than 2 can be female mallards. After they started flying, I fired shots 2 and 3. Both missed.

I waded over carefully and retrieved the female I hit.

I was hoping to get a male, but its okay. I guess I need to practice my aim, though.

Picture attached,

Jared
Attached Thumbnails 2020 first duck-img_0564.jpg  
Old 10-31-2020, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

well congrats, excitement can make many miss, it happens
best advice is, when shooting at them, try and think about lead on them, and stay as calm as you can, a rushed shot is more likely a miss, so taking more time to make sure your shouldering gun right and following thru on your lead at time of firing, even if a longer shot, , it tends to help more connect! than miss! IMO

Old 10-31-2020, 03:22 PM
Fork Horn

Actually, I just got back from hunting again. I got my first male. Im in the middle of plucking it. I actually took your advice before you even gave it! I was working on staying calm, and I got him!

thatís funny. Well, thanks for the advice anyway.

I really appreciate it. Jared
Old 10-31-2020, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

well then congrats again to you on a male too!
and glad your getting more success each time out, keep up the good work!