Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Texas river hunting

Old 12-01-2019, 10:06 AM
Spike

Default Texas river hunting

Alright so before anybody does what they do on every hunting forum post, I do not care for your damn honey hole. I hope it stays hidden forever, not looking for any type of location just curious on legality in certain areas.

iíve looked up and down TWPDís website and all I can find that is you are able to shoot from a kayak or johnboat in a river as long as you abide by the local ordinances.Iím specifically curious about the Colorado River since I live in Austin, would I technically be able to hunt anywhere between Austin in Bastrop? As long as I enter the water legally and donít trust pass?

Old 12-01-2019, 01:00 PM
Spike

Duck and Goose hunter from Idaho here. I want to try to help. I have had trouble understanding regulations myself. Here is what I do when this happens:

Instead of looking on a website, I actually call someone who knows the hunting laws, in my case Idaho Fish and Game. I tell them why I am confused, and I ask the question in mind.

9 times out of 10 they give the answer you need.

Here's an example that happened to me. In the Idaho regulations it says, "No season on hen pheasants." I thought this meant that there was always an open season for hens. I was confused, so I called Idaho Fish and game, and asked them if this was true.

I was wrong. You can't take hen pheasants. Period. I could have gotten in trouble if I went hunting for them.

I advise you to actually call and/or talk face to face with someone who knows the regulations in your area. You'll get a much better answer..

You also won't get into trouble if the info you get is wrong.

If you would like, I can look into this for you and help you get an answer.

Jared
Old 12-02-2019, 05:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Nickkaderli View Post
Alright so before anybody does what they do on every hunting forum post, I do not care for your damn honey hole. I hope it stays hidden forever, not looking for any type of location just curious on legality in certain areas.

iíve looked up and down TWPDís website and all I can find that is you are able to shoot from a kayak or johnboat in a river as long as you abide by the local ordinances.Iím specifically curious about the Colorado River since I live in Austin, would I technically be able to hunt anywhere between Austin in Bastrop? As long as I enter the water legally and donít trust pass?

Instead of throwing a hissy fit here, just call the Texas department of Fish and Game and ask them? It would make more sense and you could trust the answer.
Old 12-02-2019, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

Ohio has an email that you can send a message to with game law questions.

Save their response on your phone so you have it with you.

-Jake