Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
Northern Virginia Duck Hunting >

Northern Virginia Duck Hunting

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Northern Virginia Duck Hunting

Old 05-21-2019, 09:26 PM
Spike

Default Northern Virginia Duck Hunting

I’m moving up to Alexandria Va this summer and have a passion for duck hunting. I’ve been in Mississippi the past few years and been blessed with great public land opportunities. I know the public land is slim in north Virginia but if anybody has a good direction to point me in or maybe a possible outfitter in the area to hook me up with it would be greatly appreciated. Anything at all would be helpful
Old 05-23-2019, 06:58 AM
Typical Buck

You of course are moving into an awesome duck/goose hunting area with the Potomac River and Chesapeake Bay regions. While I am not a huge duck/goose hunter I am mainly Deer/Turkey/Bear hunter but have gone duck/goose hunting many times. I highly recommend Teddy Carr's Outdoor Action guide service. I went to the same high school as Teddy and have hunted with him and he is extremely knowledgeable and a great guy to hunt with. He is also a great fishing guide as well.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think you will find that most of the waterfowl hunting available to the public in NOVA will be guided hunts in Maryland. There are too many guys trying to find a spot in or near NOVA. Most of the fellows I know will not bother with the diving ducks but there are some outfitters that shoot the sea ducks. I know a couple groups that drive a bit to hunt geese in New Jersey.
Old 05-28-2019, 06:13 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by mackesr
You of course are moving into an awesome duck/goose hunting area with the Potomac River and Chesapeake Bay regions. While I am not a huge duck/goose hunter I am mainly Deer/Turkey/Bear hunter but have gone duck/goose hunting many times. I highly recommend Teddy Carr's Outdoor Action guide service. I went to the same high school as Teddy and have hunted with him and he is extremely knowledgeable and a great guy to hunt with. He is also a great fishing guide as well.
I really appreciate that. I’ll check him out for sure
Old 05-28-2019, 06:14 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
I think you will find that most of the waterfowl hunting available to the public in NOVA will be guided hunts in Maryland. There are too many guys trying to find a spot in or near NOVA. Most of the fellows I know will not bother with the diving ducks but there are some outfitters that shoot the sea ducks. I know a couple groups that drive a bit to hunt geese in New Jersey.
that’s what I hear. I plan on getting a boat soon after I get up there so hopefully I can find some area to attack or scout
Old 06-02-2019, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have taken charter fishing boats out of Chesapeake Beach Marina for stripers and blues a few times and I remember seeing a sign or two offering duck hunting on the Bay. This is not a recommendation, just a recollection. I do not know anything about the guys that guide out of CBM.
Old 06-07-2019, 04:12 AM
Fork Horn

I am completely unfamilar with hunting in VA. Maryland owns the potomac up to the VA shore. You can hunt on the VA shore with a VA license, you can hunt on Maryland owned islands or private owned with permission and a Maryland out of state license. You cannot hunt from a boat unless you have a maryland resident with you. All tidal areas are in the blind lottery in August and the non-tidal potomac is a floating blind system.

If you want geese some of the farms out past Leesburg are just swamped with geese. There has to be farmers allowing field hunting with that many birds swamping the ponds out there. I don;t bother heading over the line as I don't want to pay for that license and have enough to hunt in my area.