Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

late season goose

Old 01-10-2019, 10:02 PM
Spike

Default late season goose

Hello, I want to go after some geese this winter. however i have had a hart time finding where the geese are. where will the geese be in late winter. I've heard fields. do they like to hang out on frozen lakes or do they still look for open water. long story short where do you look for gees in the late season.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Generally......Fields to feed. Open water to rest.

Most Mississippi flyway geese are currently north of central Illinois. With all the retention/detention ponds up north and the lack of snow/very cold weather, they do not migrate like in years past. It takes a serious cold spell and more importantly a long lasting snow cover to push them south.

Check the Ducks Unlimited website. Some hunters post migration updates on there. Not sure if they do so for geese as much as ducks.

Shot one short of a five man limit several weeks ago. One was banded.
Attached Thumbnails late season goose-20181223_074511.jpg