Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Which Gun After Shoulder Surgery?

Old 08-01-2018, 07:28 PM
Spike

Default Which Gun After Shoulder Surgery?

A week ago I had shoulder surgery where the rotator cuff, labrum, and upper bicep tendon were all torn. My surgeon says no shooting for 6-8 months so I'll miss waterfowl hunting this year. All my shotgun hunting is done with either pumps or an O/U. My question is would I be better off recoil wise, getting a semiauto before next season or stick to the pumps and the O/U? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Last edited by hunter177; 08-01-2018 at 07:29 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-02-2018, 10:49 AM
Fork Horn

now I use an ithaca mag 10 ga for most of my duck hunts

but I can assure you that a great deal of the FELT recoil can be REDUCED through the use of a vest with a decent shoulder pad sewn into it.
no matter what gun you sellect I would think thats a worth while option as it spreads and softens the impact noticeably
you might not be shooting 2.25 oz loads of shot from a 3.5" 10 ga. but no mater what shotgun youve selected a proper recoil absorbing shoulder pad might be a good idea!

https://www.chuckhawks.com/past_recoil_pads.htm

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/69...d-ambidextrous

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by hardcastonly; 08-02-2018 at 05:21 PM.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:05 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Just finished a Wi Wingshooting class. Instructors talked about lethal distance along with shot size and choke selection.
Then patterning using a Tom Rosters table I found I should go to a 2 3/4 round in 3 shot and go away from my 3 inch blackcloud round. Clearly was over kill. And higher priced.
The Kent 2 3/4 patterned just fine.

That does a few things.
1. Reduced recoil with my 12. Far less recoil with a 2 3/4.
2.Reduced recoil means no flinch. Which can develop in anybody.
3. Big money saver for sure.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:10 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Just finished a Wi Wingshooting class. Instructors talked about lethal distance along with shot size and choke selection.
Then patterning using a Tom Rosters table I found I should go to a 2 3/4 round in 3 shot and go away from my 3 inch blackcloud round. Clearly was over kill. And higher priced.
The Kent 2 3/4 patterned just fine.

That does a few things.
1. Reduced recoil with my 12. Far less recoil with a 2 3/4.
2.Reduced recoil means no flinch. Which can develop in anybody.
3. Big money saver for sure.
To answer tour question on recoil a OU vs a Pump.
The pump will have slightly less recoil vs a OU.
That compiled with a reduced charge shotshell. Will do just fine. Or like suggested have a high quality Pachmyr butt pad added.

​​​Closing.
Yes a Semi - Auto has the least amount of recoil vs the other firearm actions you currently own.
JW
Old 08-03-2018, 12:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a really old vest (Gander mountain) that has a recoil pad pocket. I can put either a Browning impact gel pad in there or a recoil pad. I'm sure somebody makes a similar vest now.
My shotgun is an 1100 Remington semi auto twelve, I usually use either 2 or 4 semi magnum 2 3/4, 2 shot for Hare, Geese or Fox, 4 for everything else.. With the recoil stock extension on my shotgun, the spring type recoil system of the Remington (or similar) and the impact gel vest, felt recoil is negligible.

Not all semi auto shotguns are designed the same, the ones with the recoil spring in the stock have less felt recoil than those without.

My days of shooting firearms, that kill in front and cripple behind, are long gone. I haven't come home with a sore shoulder, after a Dove hunt, in decades. I say Dove hunt because I limit out on Dove most every hunt. The guys that use a 20 gauge seem to get just as many birds as anybody else, those using three inch magnums don't seem to get any more.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:47 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by hunter177 View Post
A week ago I had shoulder surgery where the rotator cuff, labrum, and upper bicep tendon were all torn. My surgeon says no shooting for 6-8 months so I'll miss waterfowl hunting this year. All my shotgun hunting is done with either pumps or an O/U. My question is would I be better off recoil wise, getting a semiauto before next season or stick to the pumps and the O/U? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.
You will realize the least amount of felt recoil with a gas operated, semi-auto shotgun.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:55 AM
Fork Horn

What he said plus a decent buttpad designed to reduce recoil. Using 2&3/4' shells will help also.
Old 08-11-2018, 05:38 PM
Spike

Default Shoulder Surgery

Thank you all for the thoughts and ideas. I got a Beretta A300 Outlander 12 gauge black synthetic.
Old 11-27-2018, 07:05 AM
Spike

my suggestion would be to get a 20 gauge and shoot 2 3/4 shells....I would use the Hevishot shells
and you should be more than equipped to get a nice limit of ducks
Old 11-29-2018, 07:27 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by hunter177 View Post
Thank you all for the thoughts and ideas. I got a Beretta A300 Outlander 12 gauge black synthetic.
You bought a nice reliable shotgun that should do you well on most everything you'll plan to shoot. But if you ever have the chance to shoot 2-4 boxes of 3" steel loads in a goose blind in a couple of hours NOTHING beats a Beretta A400 Extrema KO; just like shooting low base dove loads.