Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
11-87 or 935 For Waterfowl? >

11-87 or 935 For Waterfowl?

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

11-87 or 935 For Waterfowl?

Old 05-17-2018, 09:48 AM
Spike

Default 11-87 or 935 For Waterfowl?

I'm new to waterfowl hunting. I know most guys use a semi-auto but it seems that almost nobody uses a Remington 11-87 or a Mossberg 935. Is there some reason why these two guns don't seem to be used much for waterfowl? I'm considering buying one or the other so any advice would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 05-19-2018, 02:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Out of the two I would opt for the 935.....Remington is having many issues with business, which is hurting QC
Old 05-21-2018, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Most of the fellows that I hunt waterfowl with use Benelli SBE II shotguns. These are very good shotguns but sometimes it seems a status thing to carry a $2,000 SBE. It has nothing to do with the cost of the shotgun for me but I am one of the fellows that still uses a pump for most of my shooting from a boat or out in the muck of a marsh. I have never had a jam or misfire which is something I can not say for the fellows that use a semi-auto of any brand, including the Benelli. I kill as many birds that the other fellows and it is also a bit easier to pick up my empty hulls. I know fellows that have received a fine for not picking up their empties, and frankly I think they should get fined.

I use a Beretta O/U for clay birds and upland hunting and take an 11-87 for geese in a field and usually use one in the dove field. Maybe I am unlucky or just simply not very graceful but It is not unusual for me to have to take my shotgun apart and clean it after a day in the marsh and I appreciate the reliability of a pump when it has been covered in muck.

As for brands of semi-autos I seriously doubt that you will find much difference in reliability between an 11-87 and a 935. Remington gets a lot of internet bashing (much, but not all, of it unwarranted) these days but my 11-87 works just fine. Handle both shotguns that you have mentioned and choose the one that feels the best in your hands.
Old 09-02-2018, 05:58 AM
Spike

the 1187 is my MOST favorite gun of all time
I have shot mine for 20 years
I bought a Hevishot Choke system that has
an extended range and mid range choke
they work great
Old 09-04-2018, 10:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Remington vs. Mossberg. Remington would win in my court every time. I've operated both and have never been impressed with any Mossberg. Their pumps are big, bulky, and loose fitting.

I was in the market for a new semi-auto. Scheels offered a shotgun demo day. Shot the Benelli SBE 3, Browning, and Beretta A400. Bought the Benelli.

My suggestion is to handle and shoot both. Choose which you like.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator

find a deal on a
benelli,
browning
,ithaca
Old 10-25-2018, 10:17 PM
Spike

My hunting buddies and I have shot 870s &1100s all our lives and I purchased an 11-87 when my truck was broken into and my 12 gauge was stolen 8-10 years ago. Each year we hunt geese in Canada for 1-2 weeks shooting 3" BBs averaging 3 boxes a day. The magazine shell keeper can not take the abuse of the 3" shells and it would pop out of the receiver or snap into pieces every 150-250 shells. This was common in every 11-87 not just one; and we had 8 of them between the 6 of us just to keep enough in service each day. It wasn't a big problem as we bought the special Remington Tool to reset the keeper into the receiver and we always had 4-6 on hand for replacements.
We tried the Benelli Auto but it is too light and kicks like a mule; my shoulder was Black after shooting 3 boxes when my 11-87 broke in the field and I needed a backup. I bought a Beretta A-400KO when I got back to the states that year and I couldn't be happier. This shotgun has virtually no kick, can go 250-500 rounds without a cleaning and still function well in 15-20 degree temperatures without a mechanical failure after 4000 3" rounds. The $1500-1800 price tag is a little steep but well worth the investment if you shoot 500-1000 3" shells a year hunting waterfowl and Turkeys. This has been the only shotgun I've owned that is as reliable as an 870; but my younger hard body days are long gone and the new softer me likes the cushion of the A-400
Old 10-28-2018, 12:08 PM
Fork Horn

You should check out a Winchester SX3 or SX4.