Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Mowing corn.

Old 02-22-2015, 03:54 PM
Spike

Default Mowing corn.

I am a 12 year old boy with a 235 acre farm in central pa and it isn't close to a major waterway but we do have about a 1 and a half acre wetland. There are a fair amount of woodies, mallards, and geese that nest on or near it. Most of the farm is in crep. I was wondering if we planted some corn and then mowed it with a bush hog so the corn was not harvested but is spread out on he ground so that if there were some geese or duck on th wetlands hat they might come and feed i that plot. If anyone can tell me if this is doable, pease tell me.

Pheasantshooter123.
Old 02-22-2015, 04:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

No, not if you're talking about using it to hunt over. You could plant corn and hunt either before or after it's harvested, but it would be considered illegal baiting under this section of the USFWS Federal Waterfowl Regulations:

Waterfowl Hunting on Agricultural Lands
Agricultural lands offer prime waterfowl hunting opportunities. You can hunt waterfowl in fields of unharvested standing crops. You can also hunt over standing crops that have been flooded. You can flood fields after crops are normally harvested and use these areas for waterfowl hunting. Hunting waterfowl over a crop that has not been harvested but that has been manipulated (rolled/disced) is considered baiting under current regulations
Old 02-23-2015, 04:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

What Topgun said. In adittion, in many states, including the one you live in, it would be illegal to hunt any game in a field that has had crop manipulation done in it.