Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Best Choke?

Old 12-29-2014, 07:20 AM
Fork Horn

Default Best Choke?

Was just wondering what are you guys favorite chokes that you do the best with for both duck and geese? Looking to get some new chokes for my Benelli 12 ga. Thanks!!!
Old 12-29-2014, 08:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Are you wing/pass shooting or hunting over decoys ?

How many yards do you expect your average shot to be ?
Old 12-29-2014, 08:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yep, lots of variables that also includes the big difference in size between the two species!
Old 12-29-2014, 09:22 AM
Fork Horn

oh sorry I did not specify, we hunt over decoys and for the most part they usually come in to the deeks after they commit and cup in, but we do sometimes do some pass shooting as well when they do not commit to the spread. Shots always range from some close up in our face to some that a little high and out there. Let's say maybe out to 60. I have been shooting 3' and 3 1/2' #2 Winchester Blind Side with the Hex Pellets, but am considering switching to Heavy Metal or Heavy Steel. Was thinking a Modified or a Light Modified Comp-N-Choke and also have had my eyes on the Patternmasters.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Improved (light) Mod would be my recommendation for both conditions.

If you get them to commit to your spread - IC is fine !

However, 60 yards is to far to shoot IMHO - makes for a lot of cripples.

I like to see them fold in the air..................
Old 12-29-2014, 10:34 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Sheridan
Improved (light) Mod would be my recommendation for both conditions.

If you get them to commit to your spread - IC is fine !

However, 60 yards is to far to shoot IMHO - makes for a lot of cripples.

I like to see them fold in the air..................
Thanks for the insight man, I really appreciate it! I see Comp-N-CHoke makes a "Light Mod" for decoying out to 40 yards, a "Modified" for Mid-Range 20-50 yards, and a "Improved Mod" for pass shooting 30-60 yards. Will probably go with either the Light Mod or the Mod I think. How accurate do you think their descriptions on each individual choke really is?
Old 12-29-2014, 11:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Pattern the choke on cardboard / paper at various distances and then you will KNOW the best range.

I'd recommend getting one that patterns well out to 40 yards.

Remember when shooting steel shot, it's like one more choke size (IC with lead is like Mod with steel).

Their descriptions might be with different shot size than you plan on using - It's a general guideline; no more on less.

You need to pattern your gun, with your choke and with the shot size you plan on using (20 yards, 30 yards, 40 yards, 50 yards) !
Old 12-29-2014, 11:19 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Sheridan
Pattern the choke on cardboard / paper at various distances and then you will KNOW the best range.

I'd recommend getting one that patterns well out to 40 yards.

Remember when shooting steel shot, it's like one more choke size (IC with lead is like Mod with steel).

Their descriptions might be with different shot size than you plan on using - It's a general guideline; no more on less.

You need to pattern your gun, with your choke and with the shot size you plan on using (20 yards, 30 yards, 40 yards, 50 yards) !
Sounds good, will do! Just like I do to pattern my turkey gun with different chokes and ammo to see what works best. Not a prob at all just wanted to see what direction I would go in to begin with. Thanks again Sheridan!
Old 12-29-2014, 11:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Listen to Sheridan and please don't try to bust birds out a 60 yards. There is just too much chance to wound a bird when you get out that far even if you do hit it.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:29 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Listen to Sheridan and please don't try to bust birds out a 60 yards. There is just too much chance to wound a bird when you get out that far even if you do hit it.
No worries brother! Just was using a bigger number to be safe in regards to having a tight shot pattern with good knockdown power...This is my first season waterfowl hunting and I am hooked, but I pride myself in being an ethical hunter and always trying to do the right thing. As of now in the season I have yet to take a shot at anything close to that distance...usually just birds cupping into our spread and passing birds literally right in front of us. Just trying to learn the ropes and learn as much as I can because I do really enjoy it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.