Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Pluck or skin?

Old 10-10-2003, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Pluck or skin?

Do you recommend plucking or skinning geese?

Dan O.
Old 10-10-2003, 04:35 PM

Default RE: Pluck or skin?

Really depends on how you plan to cook it, but I personally always pluck them, that way if it is a recipe that calls for no skin, I can just remove it later. Any time you roast or grill ducks or geese, the skin really helps lock in the juices, and keeps them moist. Plus it tastes great!
Old 10-10-2003, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pluck.

Easiest way is to pluck the main feathers (leave as much down as possible). While you' re plucking, heat up a BIG DEEP pot of water, into which you have melted parafin to a depth of 2" or so. Dip the rough plucked goose into the water/parafin, and immediately submerse into ice water for 10 minutes. Put the wax coated goose on some newspaper, whack it a few times (to crack the parafin) and then just peel the parafin off. All the down will come off with the parafin and leave the bird as smooth as a baby' s butt.
Old 10-12-2003, 12:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

I pluck a few roasters mostly of canada' s or specs. However my family really doesn' t like roasted goose or duck, so most of mine is skinned(breast meat and legs bone removed) and then done it a variety of ways which is more liked by the rest of the crew. I have wrapped a skinned duck in bacon to help keep the moisture in this is a very good way to roast them skinned.
Old 10-16-2003, 10:21 AM
Fork Horn

I' am with workhorse
Old 10-16-2003, 11:39 AM

Breast them out. Make jerky with all my geese.
Old 10-17-2003, 09:44 AM

I only pluck them for special occassions. Most of my ducks get breasted and the geese get skinned.

I picked up a great recipe from one of our fellow hunting netters last year.

Take breasts and cube them into one-two inch pieces. Add a piece of pineapple and wrap in bacon. Cook on grill or in the broiler until the bacon is done. Rolling once to ensure both sides get cooked.

I' ve yet to find anyone who didn' t like them even people who generally don' t like duck.
Old 10-26-2003, 09:23 PM

txbowjunkie, is that recipe for ducks or geese or both? I' m looking for a tasty way to grill goose.
Old 10-27-2003, 05:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I pluck a few ducks every year and the rest of the ducks and geese get breasted out.
Old 10-28-2003, 12:54 AM
Fork Horn

Depends how you want to cook em and what kinda of ducks they are. I breast everything out except for the big red leg, head the size of your fist, fat greenheads I pluck those cause they are to die for when roasted. I make jerk our every thing else. Don' t laugh but the best jerk duck I have found is none other than the old smilling mallard, spooine, shoveler. I don' t kow what it is but they make GREAT jerk.

Quick Reply: Pluck or skin?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.