Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
How Much Difference Does Velocity Make? >

How Much Difference Does Velocity Make?

Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

How Much Difference Does Velocity Make?

Old 07-15-2014, 11:35 AM
  #1  
Spike
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Wernersville, PA
Posts: 77
Default How Much Difference Does Velocity Make?

I know that most people use 1550 fps or higher loads for waterfowl and I understand it's for longer shots and possibly less lead. My question is how much will lowering velocity from 1550 to 1400 really affect performance out to 40 yards? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
_________________________
hunter177 is offline  
Old 07-16-2014, 05:03 AM
  #2  
Giant Nontypical
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Allegan, MI
Posts: 8,019
Default

Not that much if you put the main pattern where it's supposed to go and have just a tad more lead on the bird because of the speed difference.
Topgun 3006 is offline  
Old 07-16-2014, 09:36 AM
  #3  
Giant Nontypical
 
Sheridan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location:
Posts: 5,130
Default

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006 View Post
Not that much if you put the main pattern where it's supposed to go and have just a tad more lead on the bird because of the speed difference.


.............. and there you have !
Sheridan is offline  
Old 07-23-2014, 06:54 AM
  #4  
Spike
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 3
Default

Begg to Differ..

Everyone says Kent FASTSTEEL is useless, but I have found the most luck with their 1550 or 1560 loads, #4's, even for the big mallards and pintails (in California at least)

Tried the hevi-steel, tried the blackcloud...I think that velocity trumps what the actual pellet is made out of. Yah sometimes you will send a bird flying if you start to push 40+ yards, but if your using a full choke, you will have good kill power out of 45 easy.
nenodavi is offline  
Old 07-23-2014, 10:44 AM
  #5  
Boone & Crockett
 
Oldtimr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: south eastern PA
Posts: 12,447
Default

Pattern and pellet size mean more than velocity, that and knowing how to wing shoot. Shot that moves at the speed of light will not help someone who can't shoot. Shoot em where they eat and not where they crap.
Oldtimr is offline  
Old 07-26-2014, 04:46 AM
  #6  
Giant Nontypical
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Allegan, MI
Posts: 8,019
Default

Originally Posted by Oldtimr View Post
Pattern and pellet size mean more than velocity, that and knowing how to wing shoot. Shot that moves at the speed of light will not help someone who can't shoot. Shoot em where they eat and not where they crap.
Yep, and the newbie member can beg to differ all he wants to, LOL! PS: Love that last sentence, LOL!
Topgun 3006 is offline  
Old 07-27-2014, 06:42 PM
  #7  
Fork Horn
 
RaySendero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: US South
Posts: 405
Default Wind Drift

Originally Posted by hunter177 View Post
I know that most people use 1550 fps or higher loads for waterfowl and I understand it's for longer shots and possibly less lead. My question is how much will lowering velocity from 1550 to 1400 really affect performance out to 40 yards? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
_________________________

hunter,
Don't have numbers for steel shot, but here's a reference:

Lead #2 shot
at 1,200 FPS
10 MPH crosswind
Drift at 40 yds = 5"
Drift at 60 yds = 11"

LOL - Wish lead was still legal!!!
RaySendero is online now  
Old 08-03-2014, 07:44 PM
  #8  
Fork Horn
 
oldreloader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Magnolia, AR
Posts: 200
Default

If you do your part, the bird can't tell the difference! I love that line Oldtimr!
oldreloader is offline  
Old 08-24-2014, 10:43 AM
  #9  
Nontypical Buck
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,834
Default

Originally Posted by RaySendero View Post
hunter,
Don't have numbers for steel shot, but here's a reference:

Lead #2 shot
at 1,200 FPS
10 MPH crosswind
Drift at 40 yds = 5"
Drift at 60 yds = 11"

LOL - Wish lead was still legal!!!
AMEN!!!!!!!!! I remember those days all too well!!!!!!!! Nothing like lead 4's or 5's for ducks and Copper BB's for geese, SLAMMED EM!!!!!
SecondChance is offline  
Old 11-08-2014, 04:22 AM
  #10  
Spike
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 12
Default

The difference is a matter or calculating it, but I am not that good in math that I could calculate it.

I don't think that at 40 yards the 1550 to 1400 will do that much difference as the critical borderline is further. As the objective is to kill the duck, not make kinetic energy records.
DTcker is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.