Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
My wooden duck call split! >

My wooden duck call split!

Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

My wooden duck call split!

Old 11-23-2013, 06:10 PM
Spike

Default My wooden duck call split!

Was hunting in southern Idaho this morning & the temps were 16F to 24F for about 6 hrs. After I got home, I put my calls on my night stand. This evening I there is a big split down the side of my favorite duck call. Sounds like crap obviously as most of the air is leaving through the side rather than the end. I am wondering if I could fix it? Anybody ever done that or should I just cut my loss & move on?

" />

Last edited by Quakklz; 11-23-2013 at 06:15 PM.
Old 11-24-2013, 04:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

No fix. Store will sell ya another one.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:30 AM
Spike

LOL. Yeah I am gonna try to fix it but will also make a trip to the store to pick up another one today or tomorrow.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:47 AM
Fork Horn

Gorilla glue and a hose clamp!
Old 11-27-2013, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by NEhomer
Doubt it. Grain next to it will split when the barrel is inserted into the body. Probably got wet, froze, then when it thawed, it swelled and split.
Old 11-28-2013, 02:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hmm...

some folks must be discovering their first winter.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:11 AM
Spike

Not my first winter but my first one in Idaho. Well, I used Elmer's wood filler & it seems to be fine for now. Not sure if it will hold up to tomorrow's hunt or not. Good thing it that there is a Cabela's on the way home if it decides to split again.

" />
Old 11-30-2013, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by NEhomer
My thoughts exactly.

You have nothing to lose by trying. Make sure you wet the wood slightly before using the gorilla glue... I thought for years that stuff SUCKED... who would think to wet something before gluing it... pays to read the back of the bottle.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SwampCollie
My thoughts exactly.

You have nothing to lose by trying. Make sure you wet the wood slightly before using the gorilla glue... I thought for years that stuff SUCKED... who would think to wet something before gluing it... pays to read the back of the bottle.
bonds quite well once you follow directions....lol I did the same thing...first time I tried that stuff haha
Old 11-30-2013, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SwampCollie
My thoughts exactly.

Thats a fact!!! First time using the stuff was with a custom wooden toilet seat. Was starting to come apart on the tongue and groove joints. So I decide I can fix this. Wet it a bit and then REALLY put the glue to it!!!!! Missed the part where they say to use it sparingly!!!!!!! So after trying to contain this stuff for over 20 minutes, I give up. Just put it down on the newspaper and take a carpenters knife and file to it next day. Then sandpaper. Good to go!!!! Great stuff. Once you learn how to wrangle it!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.