Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Awesome goose loads

Old 11-27-2012, 08:50 PM
Spike

Default Awesome goose loads

I bought some HEVISHOT 2 3/4 goose loads in B shot. My buddies didn't think the 2 3/4 would be very effective, as they don't pack as much shot. This weekend we hunted in a field and we were all surprised at how well the HEVISHOT performed, even at long distances out to 45-50 yards. I'm going to try to get my hands on some more if I can. I love this stuff!
Old 11-28-2012, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Fowlfan
I bought some HEVISHOT 2 3/4 goose loads in B shot. My buddies didn't think the 2 3/4 would be very effective, as they don't pack as much shot. This weekend we hunted in a field and we were all surprised at how well the HEVISHOT performed, even at long distances out to 45-50 yards. I'm going to try to get my hands on some more if I can. I love this stuff!
Try the 3" and really shine!!!! Few more pellets for coverage at those distances and not much, if any, more cost. Try them in 2's instead of BB's for they have more pellets and as much more energy than steel BB's. Easier to find.

Last edited by SecondChance; 12-04-2012 at 05:49 AM.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:35 PM
Fork Horn

Sweet..ive gotten the same results with Kent and Blackcloud....3 inch Mag....
Old 12-04-2012, 05:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by HONKERS
Sweet..ive gotten the same results with Kent and Blackcloud....3 inch Mag....
I like the kent, won't shoot the BlackCloud. Doesn't pattern well for me in my choketubes.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:22 PM
Spike

Shot shell and choke design is more important than the number of pellets in a shell for getting pellets on target. A well designed 2 3/4 shell can often work better than a 3" shell. Better barrel and choke designs have also improved shot shell range.
The new loads such as "Heavy Shot" and Winchester's new "Blindside" are a huge improvement over early steel loads but are very expensive. Some of the new high velocity steel has also added a few yards to shot guns effective range. 50 to 60 yards is not uncommon for clean kills now with some new ammo designs but expensive to shoot. Learning good decoy set ups and calling the big birds in closer works well for me. I am horrible at long range crossing shots. At 60 yd crossing shots I seldom hit anything. At 35 yds or on jump shots I seldom miss. The new specialty ammo is deadly on water foul out past 50yds but not if I can't get my shots on target.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:31 AM
Spike

HeviShot B is deadly on geese. I even use #4 HeviShot in 3 inch for geese. The B load in 2 3/4 is a very effective load. There are plenty of pellets and remember, the shot speed is about the same as the 3". Make sure to pattern the load. Try it with a HeviShot choke tube for best results.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use my Hevi Shot reloads on geese , when I have to pass shoot them
I have found #4 Hevi Shot ( 1 3/8 oz at 1500 fps ) will pass through most geese at 40 yds
And work perfictly to 50 yds

John
Old 01-31-2013, 07:52 PM
Spike

I have also found post-mortem, that the #4 Hevishot does pass through the geese inside 40 yards. The density of these loads is unbelievable, I'm not one for shots way out there, but this would definitely be the shot that can do it.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:09 PM
Fork Horn

You are exactly correct....the HeviShot loads are simply
lethal regardless of 2 3/4, 3 or 3.5
Old 02-21-2013, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use a 20ga with Hevi-Shot 3", 1-1/8th oz of 4's and 2's for geese when we are in the early season or hunting Horicon Marsh at my sister-in-laws house for the past 5-8 years. Simply slams them.
My hunting partners laughed their butts off at me first time I brought out my Citori O/U in the blind and put the "Bananna's" in it. After I put 2 on the deck at 40 plus yards, called which goose, only one who shot, and with 1 shot each. They didn't have anything to say but "Damn!!!"
I shoot Briley Extended Imp. Mod choke tube and it smokes them inside 40yds, head back, wings folded, hit the deck with a whoompp!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.