Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Motion decoys

Old 08-27-2003, 09:40 PM

Default Motion decoys

I am looking to add some motion to my water spread for mallards I use in ND. what does Everyone recomend, how does it work and how many do I need? Thanks
Old 08-28-2003, 08:49 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Motion decoys

what kind of motion do you want? flapping wings, plastic dekes that swim around in the water, or something to just make waves and ripples in the water?
Old 08-28-2003, 02:56 PM

I am not sure. Right now I only have regular floating decoys. I have had trouble decoying ducks the last few years. Seems they want motion before they will commit. I guess I was thinking something along the flapping wings would be good. However something in the water may be good too. What are most doing to their spreads to make them seem more the the real thing? Are there any other tricks I should try as well to my spread? I have generally been using about 2 dozen decoys in the potholes.
Old 08-29-2003, 11:49 AM
Typical Buck

you can get a spinning wing decoy kit for about $40 from wingsupply.com look in the closeout section. you provide the deke. a ready to go spinning wing deke starts around $100 and goes up from there.

for making waves in the water, i use a bumble ball (plastic ball about the size of a tennis ball with a racoon tail). cut off the racoon tail (and put it on your hat, antenna, etc). take a 1 quart ziplock freezer bag. cover it with camo duct tape. poke a hole in the outside part of the zip and insert a thick rubber band in their and loop it over itself. put the bumble ball in the bag, seal the bag, loop the rubber band around a deke tail, a branch in the water, or to an anchor cord. it will put out lots of ripples. $5. it' s only useful on windless days.
Old 08-31-2003, 01:55 PM

I use 2 spinning wing decoys, they work awesome. With them you can get large flocks of mallards in very easily. It was once a rarity for me to get in a flock of 40 or more birds. Last year I started using the spinning wing decoys and it happened on numerous occasions.
Old 09-01-2003, 06:26 PM

I went this weekend to cabela' s and bought my first motion decoy. I is a wind propelled one from tru motion a light breath of air turns it with no problem. Usually in ND it is quite windy so this should work. I was thinking of adding a Mojo duck just in case it was calm. As little as 5mph of wind is suppose to work great with this decoy. It would be nice if for $40 I could solve my decoy issue. Anyone try out this decoy yet? Would it be advisable to spend the $100 for a mojo?
Old 09-01-2003, 09:53 PM
Typical Buck

don' t spend $100 for a mojo if you live in ND. you got it easy, hunting those uneducated ducks at the top of the flyway.
Old 09-02-2003, 05:12 AM

Not trying to burst your bubble, but a guy I hunt with tried one of those tru motion decoys last year....very cheaply constructed in my opinion and it did not draw ducks the way the mojos and robos did....return it and get one of the real motion dekes...just my opinion and good luck what ever you do! And yes, they help in ND.
Old 09-02-2003, 08:18 AM
Fork Horn

One thing I have noticed about motion decoys is that they seem to be less effective the farther you get into the season. We usually head to ND the first week in Oct. and the darn things are just deadly, the birds love them. But by the time we come back around the end of the month, there not as hot. Sometimes we do better with them turned off. You have to remember that alot of guys use these things now, so the birds seem to get used to them just like everything else. But having said that, I don' t think I would head out to a pothole without mine!

My brother got one really cheap from Cabelas twards the end of the season last year, I guess thats when alot of them go on clearance.
Old 09-02-2003, 09:14 AM

The tru motion supposedly are redesigned. However, I was also thinking of picking up a mojo or robo, simply to add to what I have.

Quick Reply: Motion decoys

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.