Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
Question about duck hunting a pond >

Question about duck hunting a pond

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Question about duck hunting a pond

Old 03-19-2012, 04:31 PM
Spike

Default Question about duck hunting a pond

Found a nice pond thats pretty good sized with one end thats surrounded by woods and that end of the pond is swamp like with logs and trees growing out of the pond.

Im new to duck hunting so i dont really know much about good spots. Im in south central ky. There's ducks that are on this pond that i see daily. Theres about 4 wood ducks and a couple mallards from what i can tell

Will this be a prime hunting spot for next seasons migratory birds?
Old 03-19-2012, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Time will tell.

Old 03-21-2012, 04:10 PM
Spike

If it is close to a big lake, where they roost, or there is a nice feed field close, the pond could be potentially pretty good. I have a pond across the road from a huge tilled corn field that ducks feed on a lot. They also fly from the lake close to the field, over the pond, and I can normally call them in.

It's a decent sized pond, so when it gets pretty cold, the ducks and geese both use it, and always keep a nice hole open in the ice for me.

Good luck in the next season!

Last edited by ShawnD; 03-21-2012 at 05:30 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:22 PM
Spike

It should be good if their is any big water around, especially after the big water gets shot up some. Get permission to hunt it early and keep your eyes on it!
Old 06-26-2012, 12:00 AM
Spike

Theres about 4 wood ducks and a couple mallards from what i can tell .
Old 06-26-2012, 12:01 AM
Spike

Theres about 4 wood ducks and a couple mallards from what i can tell .
Old 06-26-2012, 02:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

If you can see some woodducks in it right now you will most likely see some in it this fall. Wood ducks love the areas with trees coming out of the water. As with wood ducks other ducks will hear them and show up as well. Good Luck on your duck hunting..
Old 06-26-2012, 06:06 AM
Fork Horn

Scout it out just prior to hunting season and set your deeks where you saw the most activity. Adjust as nessasary
Old 06-27-2012, 11:56 AM
Spike

Some times a pond or area will be real popular with waterfowl in spring and summer, and then when fall rolls around, they quit using it......why? only the ducks know, and they ain't talkin'.
If it were me, I'd keep an eye on it off and on throughout the summer and just before season.....keep an eye on the areas that the birds are seen most frequently, but remember that birds will land into the wind, so that may change your plans come opening day.
Small ponds can offer some great hunting, but they can also be burned off pretty quickly.....I once found a pond no bigger than my living room that was holding about 100 wood ducks. After we flushed them, I hunted it one more time before the close of season.....it only had one duck on it then, and it hasn't produced a duck since.

Lots of sticks & trees in the water? BE CAREFUL!....esp. if you are hunting with a dog...those sticks can impale a dog jumping out for a retrieve. They can also tear up a good pair of waders.
Good luck to you this fall...........