Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Pintails?

Old 01-29-2012, 04:36 PM
EFH
Typical Buck

Default Pintails?

Just finished a unusually good season here in central Alabama. We kept more mallards on our land this year than I have ever got to hunt. Yesterday we picked up our birds and was surprised to find a hen pintail (I've never seen one here before). Today we saw several groups of them! Now, I'm no pro caller by any means, and I've never had the chance to work pintails, but these guys didn't even seem to look as they flew by! Haha!! What I wanted to ask y'all is, are these birds harder to call or decoy in? We just blew a mallard hen with pin whistles mixed in.....have no idea if that was even right. Like I said before, never seen them here before, but would like to have a better knowledge of what to do if they ever give me another opportunity.

Any help is much appreciated!
Old 02-02-2012, 03:30 PM
EFH
Typical Buck

Anybody know how to call pintails?????
Old 02-02-2012, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

You must have a Pintail call -- NOT a regular duck call

Old 02-03-2012, 06:49 AM
Spike

I just got back from hunting NE Arkansas the guides were calling with normal mallard calls as well as blowing their whistle. We only got one group to decoy out of several so my belief is that they are hard to decoy in but again I will admit I am a novice at this just relaying what I experienced.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:40 AM
EFH
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Doc E
You must have a Pintail call -- NOT a regular duck call

I used a whistle! Do you mean a mallard hen dosent work, I need a pintail hen call?
Old 02-05-2012, 10:07 AM
Typical Buck

You can buy one of those calls that will do a wood duck,widgon,teal,pintail,mallard drake and maybee a few other calls. They really come in handy for those call shy mallards. As for pintails you got to stay on them and not stop. Pintails fly with mallards and will come to a mallard call. We will kill a few pintails in the timber that are flying with mallards
Old 02-05-2012, 01:42 PM
EFH
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by swampbuster
You can buy one of those calls that will do a wood duck,widgon,teal,pintail,mallard drake and maybee a few other calls. They really come in handy for those call shy mallards. As for pintails you got to stay on them and not stop. Pintails fly with mallards and will come to a mallard call. We will kill a few pintails in the timber that are flying with mallards
Thanks, maybe I didn't call enough to them. I'll try that next time. I had cut calling way back since it was late season in timber, and guess just stayed in that mode of calling. I do have a primos whistle, that's what I was using, have it as mallard whistle and the occasional widgen. Like I said though just green when it came to these guys.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

We have called Pintails in with everything from Mallard calls to our emergency boat whistle hanging in the boat!!!!!! I carry a paintail/teal/woodduck call. We have had them drop in out field goose spread with not a single duck deke in it, just used calls.