Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Newbie Here

Old 01-19-2012, 03:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default Newbie Here

I have a few questions. I have a Mossberg 500 pump 12ga. What would the best choke be for goose hunting? and what kind of ammo do you reccomend?
Old 01-31-2012, 04:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you are hunting decoyed birds, I would go with a modified. Blackcloud is the best waterfowl shell out there by far. (for the money)
Old 02-17-2012, 02:40 AM
Spike

Hello all..., I am newbie to this forum site. I don't have much knowledge, but would like to obtain and share what I have. As everyone now knows that forums are the best source of knowledge and through forums we can learn a lot.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:17 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by CabinOutdoors
I have a few questions. I have a Mossberg 500 pump 12ga. What would the best choke be for goose hunting? and what kind of ammo do you reccomend?
I have an Yildiz over under 12ga, I have in top a modified, and bottom improved-modified I believe.

I haven't changed these for 4 years so I don't quite remember.

Shells, Black Clouds are very nice, but very expensive where I'm from. I stick to Winchester Xpert High-Velocity. Another great shell that I've shot would be Fiocchi.

Last edited by ShawnD; 03-22-2012 at 07:15 AM.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ShawnD
I have an Yildiz over under 12ga, I have in top a modified, and bottom improved-modified I believe.

I haven't changed these for 4 years so I don't quite remember.

Shells, Black Clouds are very nice, but very expensive where I'm from. I stick to Winchester Xpert High-Velocity. Another great shell that I've shot would be Fiocchi.
Do you take them out for periodic cleaning? If not, you may wish to before you are not able to. They will weld/seal themselves into place and you may not be able to extract them at all. Especially if they are flush mount.
After you are done cleaning them, put a dab of anti-seize lube on them from any parts house and put them back in. This way, the next time you take them out, they will come out much easier.
Old 03-25-2012, 03:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Colorado Luckydog
If you are hunting decoyed birds, I would go with a modified. Blackcloud is the best waterfowl shell out there by far. (for the money)
+1

shoot #2's first & BB as your third round in the magazine.

I call it sharing also - "If you'll share with me & I'll share with you."

I know no one who is born with the knowledge !!!

BTW - Lucky is one of Huntingnet.com resident waterfowl experts - you can learn a lot from him.......................

Last edited by Sheridan; 03-25-2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:18 PM
Spike

I shoot a remington 1187 special purpose and I always shoot modified. That is the choke I am comfortable with. For years I shot #2's and BB federal or remington steel. last year I used mostly black clouds and was happy with them. but I killed plenty of geese with plain old steel.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:47 AM
Spike

If you are hunting decoyed birds, I would go with a modified. Blackcloud is the best waterfowl shell out there by far.