Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
Advice needed for dog carrier/box >

Advice needed for dog carrier/box

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Advice needed for dog carrier/box

Old 01-18-2012, 11:29 AM
Spike

Default Advice needed for dog carrier/box

Hey guys– I’m looking for a new crate/carrier to transport my dog in. I wanted some opinions on what people think is important to look for OR any modifications that have been made that didn’t come stock. How important do you think insulation is (likely below or at freezing temps)? Essentially, what do you guys think would make an ultimate crate/carrier? Don’t know if one exists but I suppose I’d like to be well informed. I’m not necessarily price sensitive (within reason) as I’m viewing this as an investment. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:11 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Will this crate be exposed or within a pickup with a topper or cap?

I have a Pick-Up with a topper. I do not insulate but if all possible in colder weather I do run a small electric heater within the interior of the back. I have built a box with slding full length trays under neath the box and the kennels sit on top.

I used the plastic Vari Kennels for 20 yrs. The 36" large size.
Then - I found Rough Tuff Kennel to be far superior to thatVari brand as the size fits my 60-70 lb dogs far better AND Saves me room which is much needed. The floor is flat and cleans up far better than the Vari.
I can easily fit 3 kennels across in the back or stagger with 4 - 2 in back and 2 in front

And with any plastic crate it cleans up easily with a garden hose.

Link
http://www.rufftoughkennels.com/

Now I know others who use a kennel cover and the dogs do fine. Kennel covers such as the Muddy River kennel covers

Link
http://www.amazon.com/River-Dixie-Ke...6921027&sr=8-1

JW

Last edited by JW; 01-18-2012 at 12:15 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:33 PM
Spike

Thanks for the response! As of right now I am not planning on adding a topper/cap so it will be exposed. My inquiry is also more geared towards transporting in the back of the pickup. I only have one dog (who at home has access to indoors) so I'm looking more at single boxes/crates. I'm also not in the coldest part of the world but it does reach down into the 20s (Northern California).

In my brief research there seems to be a lot of options out there when it comes to aluminum type, multi dog boxes but not with the single plastic types. Is it pretty safe to assume that everyone runs dog covers (like muddy river) over their plastic boxes? Thanks again!