Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

goose hunting lake help??

Old 12-10-2011, 04:30 PM
Spike

Default goose hunting lake help??

I have a 20 acre lake that has about 2000 geese on it. there seems to be several flights coming in in the morning between 8 to 10 am. Then flights stop and no geese leave lake til about 5pm. If i hunt the water and spook geese off they tend to stay away for 2 to 3 days they will come in circle couple of times and leave.. fields around lake are chiseled stubble. What would be good time to hunt lake in am to catch flights coming in try and get couple and leave before all flights get back. In a quandry on what to do.. Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated
Old 12-11-2011, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do the geese use the fields near the lake at all? Do they seem to use one end of the lake over the rest? I have a lake that is split in half by an island and they geese act somewhat like yours and they want to land near the one end and corner of the island no matter what the wind.

I did begin to see them using the other end for a minute and I set up using the end of the lake and dragging the dekes from the corn stubble to the lake, only about 20 yds. I dug a depression for my lay out blind the day before. I slipped in and set up my blind and used 2 doz full bodies and acted like they were landing in the field and heading to the water.

The group started to come to the lake and I dropped a pair just as they were bout to land, grabbed my gear and beat feet. I left the blind and just packed out the dekes.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:02 PM
Spike

It depends they seem to use the whole lake. If one end full of ducks they are on the other. its is kind of hard to get in to lake as there is always geese on it. Spooked lake off last night went back this morning to hunt and they were all back plus some. set up in field about 100 yds out had a pair come in shot at them and cleared the lake. Thought i was out far enough but wasnt. Then had no more geese for rest of day. When they are on the lake they never seem to leave except at sundown unless spooked . Seem to be feeding in field about 2 to 3 miles away.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

You may have a roost pond and keep shooting it may cause them to leave and maybe not came back at all. 100 yds in no where close enough to be able to shoot a pond like that and not bother them. over a 1/2 mile, maybe.
I would watch them in the evening and see if they are using the field. See EXACTLY where they are feeding and sitting at in the field. Go set up in the next morning in the field and leave the pond alone. That is their refuge and that is why they are there.