Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Tips for new waterfowler

Old 11-10-2011, 05:17 PM
Spike

Default Tips for new waterfowler

I did a little duck and goose hunting last year with some of my buddies but now my dad, brothers, and I are going to start hunting on our own property. I need a few tips on scouting. What is the best way to scout a pond in the evening. I know most ducks leave the ponds and head to bigger lakes to roost for the night but how do you track that. Do you just go hunt the pond the next morning with no idea whats coming in and out? Or do you sneak up on the ponds at night to see what is lying on the water? Any tips will help, appreciate it and good hunting!!
Old 11-13-2011, 05:05 PM
Spike

IMO watch the pond dawn and dusk to see if ducks are coming or leaving. That's what we do and have pretty good success.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's best if you can observe ahead whether ducks are using daily, before going through the work of setting up decoys. If they do, either get their in the early morning dark and set up decoys (best) or if there are ducks on the pond in the morning a it's already light, walk up to the pond without shooting the off. They like all leave, then set up and sit and wait. You'll get more shooting this way with singles, pairs and small numbers coming back a few at a time and more opportunities than if you jump shot them once.