Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
Waterfowl Hunting without a Dog >

Waterfowl Hunting without a Dog

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Waterfowl Hunting without a Dog

Old 11-08-2011, 02:42 PM
Spike

Default Waterfowl Hunting without a Dog

Since I am new to hunting and have few connections, I have no access to a dog. What is the best way to hunt waterfowl (not geese) without a dog?

Thanks
Old 11-08-2011, 03:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

with a boat\canoe...or waders. It can and has been done for decades. I have never hunted waterfowl with a dog.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Depends -----
If you're Field hunting, you don't really need a dog if you're in good shape - (for the sailers)
If you're hunting water, you definitely should have a well trained reriever -- or a boat of some kind.
For me, I won't hunt waterfowl without a dog.............. Actually, I won't hunt anything without a dog (except maybe deer).

Old 11-08-2011, 08:17 PM
Fork Horn

We have used fishing poles, sticks, waders, and a decoy retrieval stick, but our best method has been a two man kayak. This is jump shooting a river which is max of 40 ft wide very narrow. We just recently updated to the kayak and it is the smartest thing we have done, a little bulky but 100% retrieval rate with out getting wet. Are thinking about getting a one man lightweight kayak.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:42 PM
Spike

im trying fishing poles this year(with crankbait), i have a kayak but its a small pond, id get wet just walking to deep enuf water to push out lol
Old 11-09-2011, 10:37 AM
Spike

make your shots count so the ducks land in the decoys and so there are no cripples sailing off to no where. and watch them land and line a landmark so you can retrieve them imediatly dont keep hunting thinking you will find them later easy to get them right away
Old 11-11-2011, 04:56 PM
Fork Horn

There's been many time I've had to strip down to my shorts and go swimming for a dead duck. I am not kidding.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:43 PM
Spike

i'm a swimmer, so i dig that idea, but in illinois, the water is cold as can be
Old 11-12-2011, 03:56 PM
Spike

Hunt the same way you would if you had a dog. Decoys, jump shooting etc.. just go pick up the bird your self instead of having a dog get it for you.