Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
Where do yo set up your decoys >

Where do yo set up your decoys

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Where do yo set up your decoys

Old 09-25-2011, 04:54 AM
Fork Horn

Default Where do yo set up your decoys

I was lying in bed about an h our ago, thinking about what I could post that might help you wterfowlers get your ducks geese and swans this year. For some reason I remember looking at the statistics on my wesbite, in which I can see what many of you use fo "search wwords" on Google, that eventually leads you to my website. From now until mid-February I will get between 25 and 100 hits per day on something related do decoys, often "decoy spreads" or decoy setups".

And then for some reason I thought - not abot h ow to se a decoy spread- but what causesthe bird to sit where they sti.

Well - three things determine why waterfowl sit where they sit on water. If they are feeding on water they 1. often sit where they are out of high winds, and land with the wind in their face. 2. they sit where they feel secure (puddlers dont like to sit too close to vegetation that will let a predator atack them) 3. they sit where there is food.

So - when you set your dcoys out think about those things, which most of us do, except the part about food. The interesting thing about waterfowl species that feed on the water(not under it) is that theri neck length is commensurate with how deep they feed (often on the bottom of the pond). Most puddle ducks eat in shallow water, because they rarely dive to get food, they tip up and eat what they can reach with their short necks. Geesse, because they have longer necks, can feed in deeper water on eel grass ande similar forage, and swans, because they often eat things like the tubers of pond lilies etc, feed in deeper water yet, as deep as their necks can reach.

When you set out your decoys, think about that. There are a number of website that have decoy setup diagrams on them on the internet. Just Google "decoy setup," or decoy spread diagram".

God bless,

T.R.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:29 PM
Spike

Also ducks make a decision where to feed based on the wind for safety also.

They set in the calm end of the pond/lake, yes, but the other reason is for quick and safe escape from predators. They will jump if a predator comes and the wind will push them out over the water instead of over the land where the predator is likely to be. Over the water they can gain distance from the predator and it cannot persue them.

So the calm side of the pond/lake has many valuble options to waterfowl. They are in calmer water to feed, they are out of the weather, and it plays into their plans for a quick and safe escape.