Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

How many jump shoot?

Old 09-15-2011, 10:51 PM
Fork Horn

Default How many jump shoot?

So how many of my fellow waterfowl hunters primarily jump shoot ducks in ponds or rivers. This is my preferred method of hunting down here in the desert and I always have a blast. I recently brought a guy with me who up to that point only hunted for ducks by sitting in a blind and calling. I have officially hooked him on the jump shooting style of hunting. He told me that was the most fun he has had duck hunting in a long time. So how many of yall jump em/run and gun em?
Old 09-15-2011, 11:29 PM
Spike

I usually make an effort to circle my hunting area after sitting in the blind to jump shoot any stragglers that may have landed close. I primarily sit in a blind and hunt over decoys most of the year.

When it gets really cold late in the year, Our group always gets up and moves around after the initial flights have passed to warm our toes. We always get a few ducks jumping them like this.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

At our pond, we do both. i enjoy jump shooting, but I really enjoy being able to have a conversation (duck call & lead hen) when in the blind and am able to get the flock to commit.

Here is a pic of our pond last December -- Now that was a FUN sneak/jump shoot.

Old 09-16-2011, 05:59 AM
Fork Horn

It's too thick to jump shoot birds down here in the swamp. You don't stand a chance at sneaking up on them and getting close enough for a shot. You have to be setup and be ready right at first light to have any succes down here...
Old 09-16-2011, 09:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Jump shoot & puddle jump +1

Although I must say there is something about having them locked up above your set-up !!!
Old 09-17-2011, 02:46 PM
Fork Horn

I like to do both.But most of my ducks are killed jump shooting.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:34 PM
Fork Horn

i only jump shoot at the little pond behind my cabin because the woodies and teal stay in the cattails till the season is over so i paddle my way over and just ram the cattails and they spook up and i fold 'em.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:21 AM
Fork Horn

We jump shoot using our kayaks after the major morning flight is over. We head out from our decoy sets and hunt the marshes and lakes in our kayaks just as if we were hunting partridge in the woods. Creep along and wait for them to bust out of the flooded grasses, hyacinths, cattails, etc. It can be great fun and 2 kayaks working together can really put a lot of birds down.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:59 PM
Spike

Hunt over decoys until 10 am or so and then jump shoot the brooks rest of the afternoon until the evening hunt.