Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
Anyone else have success with Remington's new Hypersonic steel? >

Anyone else have success with Remington's new Hypersonic steel?

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Anyone else have success with Remington's new Hypersonic steel?

Old 04-06-2011, 07:45 AM
Spike

Default Anyone else have success with Remington's new Hypersonic steel?

I personally think that its the best shot that I've ever put through my 870, but I'm sure many of you have different opinions.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't shot it yet. I have been so happy with Black Cloud. But after listening to all my buddies rave about it, I'm going to try it next waterfowl season.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:15 AM
Fork Horn

I guy I seaduck with used in last season, worked well for him. I did notice the report was much louder.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't tried it, and don't think I will. Low pellet count and high velocity doesn't make much sense to me; velocity is for shooting further, but wait....didn't we take away pellets from our pattern to get that speed? I'm content with 1400-1500fps loads; have also heard numerous poor-pattern reports with the hypervelocity loads. Not saying some people don't have the guns/chokes that shoot them great though. Also, how much range will the extra 200fps get you? Unless you're using big shot, your pellet will probably only be able to keep that extra speed up for a few yards. And if you are using big shot, then your pellet count suffers and makes it more difficult to get on target. Just my opinion!
Old 04-13-2011, 03:58 AM
Fork Horn

I shot a couple boxes last year and I wasn't very impressed. They didn't pattern very well out of my gun and they're so loud you ring everyones ears that your hunting with including your own. A few got jammed up in my cousins browing pump also...

For the price of them I'd much rather shoot Kent faststeel or even Black Cloud for a few bucks more....
Old 04-13-2011, 07:02 AM
Spike

They also kick like a mule.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by JCarver81
They also kick like a mule.
That and muzzle blast area all trade offs for more speed. Which is more needed or important to you?
Old 04-16-2011, 09:12 AM
Spike

I personally would rather have more speed than shot, because the powder take more room. But it all depends on the situation and what I'm hunting.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by JCarver81
I personally would rather have more speed than shot, because the powder take more room. But it all depends on the situation and what I'm hunting.
But all the smokin speed does not guarantee you birds with effective pattern density to fill out the patterns at given distances. I prefer the middle of the road, moderate/high speed, 1450-1550fps and 1-1/4oz payload and feathers floatn in the wind with and orange in the air!!!!!
Old 05-03-2011, 11:08 PM
Spike

Haven't even tried them. I've still got a stash of 15 year old steel shot that performs just fine at 1550 FPS with 1 1/4 Oz. of shot. It patterns better than my trap, skeet, turkey and sporting clays loads to boot.

I may try it out once my stash runs out, but I've never had a problem killing ducks or geese with good ole' steel shot.