Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
Favorite Geese Shotshells(non-HD/Bismuth)? >

Favorite Geese Shotshells(non-HD/Bismuth)?

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.
View Poll Results: Which goose shotshell is your favorite?
Federal BlackCloud
25.00%
Federal BlackCloud Snow Goose
0%
Hevi-Shot Hevi Metal
31.25%
Remington HyperSonic
6.25%
Kent Fasteel
25.00%
Winchester Supreme Steel
6.25%
Winchester Super-X Steel
6.25%
Other
25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Favorite Geese Shotshells(non-HD/Bismuth)?

Old 03-26-2011, 08:38 AM
Spike

Question Favorite Geese Shotshells(non-HD/Bismuth)?

What's your favorite shotshell for geese? What distances are the usually effective?
Old 03-26-2011, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

In 12ga I use Hevi-Metal in 3" 2's,BB's and then back it up with 3-1/2" I use B's and they are smoking within 50yds with a Briley Ported Mod. or Imp.Mod choke. I sometime use Hevi-Shot as back up later in season when the 2nd and 3rd shot maybe longer or when I am backing up clients to prevent cripples.
In 20ga, I use nothing but Hevi-Shot 3" 4's over dekes and then back it up with 2's. I again use a Briley Ported Imp. Mod. choke tube.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lots of big pellets in a nasty deadly pattern. The rest doesn't really matter as far as plain ol steel goes . I pass shoot more than anything so I'm a fan of the bb or bbbs--they'll do the trick near or far. Gimme the biggest load of shot I can have and still run 1400-1500fps. From there it's about how the gun will shoot 'em. I've had success from Federal/premium, remington, kent, estate, winchester..... If you only have a 3" gun, I'd be curious to see how the hevi-metals worked for you with the increased pellet counts they have.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Although not in your poll, there is nothing like (or even close to) Hevi Shot.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Black Cloud is my favorite. If your shooting decoyed birds, it doesn't really matter which brand you use. If your pass shooting, you should learn how to decoy. It turns shooting into hunting and is much more rewarding, both in the amount of birds and the experience.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Although not in your poll, there is nothing like (or even close to) Hevi Shot.

I whole heartedly agree with Doc E. Other than Hevi-Shot BB for geese, I had good performance from Kent Fasteel BB & BBB.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Faststeel BB 3 and 3 1/2, depending upon the circumstance. I find that the 1500+ fps and BB combination of this and other brands are very effective on geese and late season northern mallards for that matter. Faststeel are less $ than most other brands I sometimes use. So, that's a bonus.