Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
Beginner Tips For a New Duck/Goose Hunter >

Beginner Tips For a New Duck/Goose Hunter

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Beginner Tips For a New Duck/Goose Hunter

Old 02-11-2011, 02:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default Beginner Tips For a New Duck/Goose Hunter

Hey guys

Im new to hunting waterfowl and pretty ignorent in tactics and decoy area. I have a duck and a goose call and im contantly improving them. I need tips on what decoys to buy and how to set them up. Also on calling(when to use different calls)and how to find a good spot. Any other tips would be greatly apreciated.

thanks for all your help
-z
Old 02-15-2011, 11:54 AM
Typical Buck

I don't think the specfic brand of decoy matters. Placement is more important that brand.. Just scout the area you plan to hunt, remember that ducks will land into the wind and set you decoys so that the ducks will be coming or crossing in front of you while they land into the wind. Don't call to much. If I have ducks coming in I don't call at all.. I only call on ducks that have decided to leave my general area or seem to be passing my by... A good tip is to only call and wing tips and tail feathers.....
Old 02-25-2011, 11:40 AM
Spike

everyone has their own favorites... me personally i love big foots for geese. I do not own dakota's yet, but have heard great things about them... they will be my next purchase.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you are new to the sport, I`d start with getting a second job to pay for all new goodies you are going to want to buy.

Ron
Old 03-07-2011, 03:43 PM
Fork Horn

haha thats true. me and the guy im gona be huntin with decided our calling strategy is gona be to call to get there attention then let them do the rest.