Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Can I feed them

Old 02-02-2011, 02:46 PM
EFH
Typical Buck

Default Can I feed them

I hunt in central bama in a large river bottom. I have several big beaver ponds that make for good shoots early in the season but then go flat. They dont dry completely in the summer but do drop down a lot. Is there anything i can plant around this when the waters down in the summer? If so how do I plant it, keep in mind I have no way to completely drain them.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:00 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Contact your local Game Warden and ask that question. I have never heard of anybody planting anything so am interested on others input.

I do know baiting of any kind is illegal nation wide/

JW
Old 02-02-2011, 03:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd try getting ahold of an area agronomist. They should understand your needs, specific to your area and soil type.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:39 PM
EFH
Typical Buck

Im not 100% sure, but i dont think its baiting if its growing there. wouldnt that be just like a food plot?
Old 02-03-2011, 01:54 AM
Fork Horn

check this out... this lists what is federaly legal you'll still have to check with state also...

http://www.fws.gov/le/huntfish/waterfowl_baiting.htm
Old 02-03-2011, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

What you are talking about doing is totally legal and in the best interest of you and the birds.

What you can plant is going to depend on your conditions. If it goes dry then you can pretty much rule out the hydrilla and milfoil options. I don't thnk wild rice will be an option either. You can go with some sort of crop if your soil content is decent... something like milo or millet might be a good fit. Get with your ag guys and your forester and they can guide you. DU will be a good source also for wet soil management.