Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

why an IC choke

Old 09-30-2010, 10:27 AM
Fork Horn

Default why an IC choke

i have been readying some posts and i see a lot of people stating that they use an IC choke for duck and goose hunting. isnt this a little too open for a critical hit. please inform me of why this is the norm.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:41 PM
JW
Super Moderator

From what I read and what I use an IC with Steel = Modified with lead, A Modified with Steel = Full with Lead and the IC was used over blocks or decoys as you are within a specified range.

If you do like I do, I place landing spots and my farthest decoy is no more than 35 yards. Made a heck of a difference for good killing shots with steel.

My IC just patterned better in my Benelli - I found it hard to believe too but I that is what patterned well.

JW
Old 10-01-2010, 06:41 AM
Fork Horn

IC kills them dead at 20 to 30 yards over decoys without tearing up the meat. I normally use 3's if I can find them, either 2 3/4 or 3 inch. Late season I switch to modified as birds are usually more wary and the range tends to a bit more longer, but never over 35 yards, with 3 inch as my choice. IMHO only.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Get the birds in close about to land and you could use 3/4 oz of #4 in a skeet choke

But normaly the IC will produce a great 20-30 yd pattern

For pass shooting or 30+ yds a Mod is better

To many guys only think 40 yds
I hunt for the up close shots
When we hunt the creeks for Woodies and mallards
I dought we ever take more than a 20 yd shot

JOhn
Old 10-01-2010, 08:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

i dont hunt geese but i use IC in my 12 ga beretta for grouse .as leaves drop i go to modify then in winter in go to full choke as shots are 40 yds.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:31 AM
Fork Horn

thanks for the input everyone. i went to cabelas yesterday and picked up an IC and doubled on wood ducks in flooded timber this morning.
Old 10-03-2010, 05:30 PM
Typical Buck

The short answer is on steel, less constriction results in less spin drift of pellets. I use cylinder on decoying ducks and IC on shots 40-50 yards with my Beretta Extrema II. The constriction strips the wad from the pellets faster rather that letting the lighter wad fall away outside the barrel after the peddles have flaired and no longer touching the pellets, the faster the wad is stripped the faster pellets spin. Modified and IC in my Beretta have the same pattern except with the modified there are more fliers outside the pattern.