Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

shotgun for 600 or less

Old 08-28-2010, 01:57 PM
Fork Horn

Default shotgun for 600 or less

I am looking to further my bird hunting to a littlt more geese and duck hunting and I would like to get a semiautomatic gun. I have been looking at the wetherby sa08,the stoeger m2000,remington 1187,maybe the winchester superx2,and etc. I am seeking some advice from the experienced hunters on here.
Thanks
Chris
Old 08-28-2010, 04:42 PM
Spike

save and get a browning or a benelli
Old 08-28-2010, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am currently testing a Mossberg 935 , I have to write several reports on it over the season ( not 100% sure if I have to return it after the season )
So far after putting close to 400 rnds of 3" and 3.5" shells
I have not had 1 problem , expect for when I tryed cheap dove and trap loads
To see if they would cycle , they wouldn't most of the time

But it isn't designed to work with most 2 3/4" loads

Not sure exactly what it would cost you
But from memory it is less than a 11/87

John
Old 08-28-2010, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator

I own a 935 and no i wont buy another it does handle 3 and 3.5 well though but i am saving for a banelli in the mean time ill be shooting my baretta save for the best and you wont be dissapointed
Old 08-29-2010, 05:09 PM
Fork Horn

I've hunted for years with the old Remington 1100 and the newer 1187. Neither have ever let me down with a minum of maintenance. Beretta has the older model 390 at Walmart for just under 600 and is another good one that I have used and liked As far as others, most are over priced for what they do no better that the 1187 and 390 which both can be had in black synthetic and dull blue or camo.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:57 PM
Spike

go big or go home. browning bps, 10ga?
Old 08-30-2010, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got a Stoeger m2000 before last waterfowl season and have been really happy with it. It didn't give me any trouble at all last season. It has cycled everything i have shot through it. Even light trap and dove loads. I put a patternmaster in it as well, at the beginning of last season and that just made it even better. If you go with an inertia driven gun like a benelli, stoeger or franchi use a light oil such as remoil and don't over use it. A thin coating is plenty. Most of the guys i know prefer to run them almost dry and we never have a problem.