Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
Do You Have Any Duck or Goose Hunting Questions Before the Season Begins? >

Do You Have Any Duck or Goose Hunting Questions Before the Season Begins?

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Do You Have Any Duck or Goose Hunting Questions Before the Season Begins?

Old 08-21-2010, 10:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default Do You Have Any Duck or Goose Hunting Questions Before the Season Begins?

Maybe I can answer them.

God bless,

T.R.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:59 PM
Spike

trmichels,

I have some general questions about goose hunting that I am sure that if I search through here long enough, I would be able to find my answers. Since nobody else has replied.......

Background,
This is my first year officially goose hunting and we have a private lease located in a bean field. There are 5 of us that are going to be hunting out of a pit blind. My schedule is a bit different than the rest of the guys and I have a son who is almost 2 years old and since we paid a pretty penny I would like to get out there any time my schedule permits even if this means hunting alone.

1) How many decoys would I need to have set at the very least to successfully bring in the birds (I realize there is more to it than that).

2) What is the basic rule of thumb when setting them up (Spacing, wind direction, pattern, prox to blind)

3) I have been working on calling a little this summer using the primos honker call and trying to follow the video. If my skills are not completely there, can I blow the hunt by calling? If I dont call do I have a chance at having them come in? What do you thing are some calling basics that I could follow.

4) Our season start Sept 1 and the beans are currently about 16 inches tall. Will they land in standing beans or will we have to wait until they are picked?

I have a bunch more but we will start with those. I have hunted geese on fields before with a few friends about 3 times, but really just did what I was told while setting up without really knowing why.

Thanks
Old 08-25-2010, 06:19 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Hunter MD
trmichels,

I have some general questions about goose hunting that I am sure that if I search through here long enough, I would be able to find my answers. Since nobody else has replied.......

Background,
This is my first year officially goose hunting and we have a private lease located in a bean field. There are 5 of us that are going to be hunting out of a pit blind. My schedule is a bit different than the rest of the guys and I have a son who is almost 2 years old and since we paid a pretty penny I would like to get out there any time my schedule permits even if this means hunting alone.

1) How many decoys would I need to have set at the very least to successfully bring in the birds (I realize there is more to it than that).

You can get by with 12, but get the most realistic you can, Bigfoot is good.

2) What is the basic rule of thumb when setting them up (Spacing, wind direction, pattern, prox to blind)

Real geese usually stick to families, so space a group 2-3 yards from another group, with 1-2 feet between decoys, simulating families.

3) I have been working on calling a little this summer using the primos honker call and trying to follow the video. If my skills are not completely there, can I blow the hunt by calling? If I dont call do I have a chance at having them come in? What do you thing are some calling basics that I could follow.

It is hard to blwo the hunt with calling, unless you are really bad, not all geese are perfeft, especially young ones. Geese often come in when there is no calling. What you might want to do is call when you first see them, and keep calling as long as they come your way, if they suddenly veer off, something is wrong, but not necessarily your calling. You can often stop calling if they keep coming, dn they will keep coming. If not trly using just some low honking.

4) Our season start Sept 1 and the beans are currently about 16 inches tall. Will they land in standing beans or will we have to wait until they are picked?

16 inches might be a bit high. But, since geese are grazzers, they want to eat grass. Look for grassy areas, where the grass is less that 8 inches high.

I have a bunch more but we will start with those. I have hunted geese on fields before with a few friends about 3 times, but really just did what I was told while setting up without really knowing why.

Get a good book. E-mail me and I'll recommend some.

Thanks

If you have more, fire away.

God bless,

T.R.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Find a good hunter to go with you and teach you the ropes. Fastest way to learn.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:06 PM
Spike

Where do I hunt near portland, oh wise one?? haha need some help in that area
Old 09-08-2010, 04:07 PM
Spike

whens pa season open
Old 09-08-2010, 05:02 PM
Spike

Helfer,

It looks like your season started Aug 29th if I am reading it correctly.

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/portal/se...unity/pgc/9106
Old 09-11-2010, 12:41 PM
Spike

What choke do you recomend for Goose? I was told that I should shoot MOD but more recently I was told that we should be shooting Full choke? What is the best option?