Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Big Decision O/U or ?

Old 08-18-2010, 05:22 AM
Spike

Default Big Decision O/U or ?

Found out the little woman spent some extra cash with no mutual consent. My turn! Here is the question(s).

1st question
I have 3 shot guns, beaters but nice reliable standbys a Nova and 870 in 12ga also a 11-87 I am going on a pheasant hunt in SD this fall and sorry to admit getting sucked into the O/U vortex. Haven't shot them too much but wanted to mix it up and get variety in the gun case. Will an O/U work halfway decent in the blind? Chokes, barrel length?

2nd Question
Mixing it up further, I don’t have a Browning or Beretta in the gun case either so I was looking at the Citori 625 Feather or 687 Ultralight Deluxe. Are there any other options in this price range with other manufactures other than Remington and Benelli?

Could just buy the A391 Extrema2 which will work with pheasant fine but great in the blind and have my Beretta…

Thanks for your feedback
Old 08-18-2010, 05:43 AM
Typical Buck

If you're alone in the duck blind, I think an O/U works fine. However, depending on the blind layout, if you have fellow hunters, a normal barrell length (26-28") can cause some noise issues... especially if it's ported.

Since you have three duck guns already, why don't you go get a 16/20/28 O/U for pheasants and other upland hunting. In your price range there are a lot of options. I think you're right on track. Have fun.
Old 08-21-2010, 05:08 AM
Typical Buck

You have to decide on what you like. I switched to O/U's for almost all my shotgunning 36 or so years back. I agree if you get a ported gun it's very noisey but 26 or 28" non ported noise is a non issue in the blind or anyplace else.
When going to an O/U for hunting the there are a couple of factors you have to consider. Just how good a wingshot are you and gun weight. If you are in the camp that you need HEAVY and FAST loads to bring you're quarry down the O/U might not be the right choice. Shooting a light O/U with some of the loads available today is not a pleasant experience, heck even thru a gun like a standard Citori coming in at just a few onces under 8lbs in 12ga. and under 7lbs in 20 ga. will rock your molars.
Only you can decide what is right for your hunting.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:20 PM
Fork Horn

I have used the Beretta ultralite for around seven years now and it is an pheasant/quail 12 gauge par none. Having said that, let me make my main point. It is light and as you age, guns get heavier, especially in the field. I always load down for quail and pheasant loads around 1200 fps. A heavy 1 1/8 field load will reall rock you. Also, my beretta is only chambered for 2 3/4 shells and I believe the browning also. Neither have a place in the duck blind, tho you could use 2 3/4 steel if you choose. Keep the light guns in the field and the heavier in the blind.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Proud owner of Extrema 2

So +1 , but you still wouldn't have a O/U.

Take a look at these;

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...field-firearms

Browning don't wear out, they wear in !!!
Old 09-02-2010, 06:47 PM
Spike

I went to doubles several years ago in the blind, no complaints.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:32 PM
Spike

if you can't get a bird with two shots, I think he deserves to be let go
Old 09-03-2010, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hawryli
if you can't get a bird with two shots, I think he deserves to be let go
Your kidding, right??

Welcome to the forum.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:33 AM
Typical Buck

I switched to an O/U about 8 years ago for everything . I think in some 200 duck/goose days with quail,rabbits,chuckkar and 2 coyotes between the blind and truck I've wanted for more gun about 6 times . 3 for coyotes hovering out about 150yds flairing ducks and 2 for those A/A geese that drop outta the jet stream a mile out in the lake. But the handloads help some too I'm sure