Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
Good Duck Hunting Shotgun? >

Good Duck Hunting Shotgun?

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Good Duck Hunting Shotgun?

Old 08-16-2010, 07:18 PM
Spike

Default Good Duck Hunting Shotgun?

What is a good shotgun to get for duck hunting? Nothing over $700. What chamber size? I've been told to get a Remington 870 with a 3" chamber. What about the magnum 3 1/2" chamber? I am new to duck hunting.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

In my experience, nearly 25 years now. The Remington 870 is very hard to beat. For the majority of shot situations, the 3" is about all, you'll need. Unless, your heading out to hunt geese regularly, the 3 1/2" is over doing it.

Otherwise, any shotgun capable of firing steel or other non-toxic shot should be good enough. I personally use the same O\U 12ga. double that I bought when I turned 18, before that I was successful with 20ga's that I was loaned by family.

One item to consider is what you will be comfortable with, as this WILL have an affect on how well you hit the birds. An ill fitting gun can partly cause poor marksmanship, though, in most cases practice can help alleviate that.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:04 AM
Typical Buck

Any shotgun that fits and feels good to you is a good waterfowl gun. Pump,Auto,O/U there all good to go. If you insist on 3 1/2" one might as well go to a 10 ga. If you still want a 12 ga 3 1/2 go look on the used rack some of the bigger places like Gander ,Cabelas you'll usually find alot of them.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:42 AM
Typical Buck

Remington SPR 453.

12 ga, 3.5 inch semi-auto. I know several guys that have one. It works reliably in the mud, rain and snow. It's around $400. Look at cdnninvestments.com
Old 08-17-2010, 07:56 AM
Typical Buck

I agree with Ruddyduck. If it feels good, it'll work. You also might want to check out the Winchester SX3. I think their camo versions are in the 900-1,000 range, but I'd bet you could find a black synthetic version in the 700 area.

Good luck.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

One that shoots straight.

It's all about personal preference.

If you like duck hunting, you will probably like goose hunting. Thus, I would strongly suggest 3.5 inch chamber.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:41 AM
Typical Buck

used 1187 supermag, or mossberg 835 waterfowl gun (on cabelas if you dont know it)
Old 08-17-2010, 10:46 AM
Fork Horn

Default shotgun

I use my mossberg 500a 12 guage in camo for everything from ducks and geese to hogs and deer. Any shotgun will work with the correct choke and load. The best thing to do is get one thta fits you and pattern it with several loads at different distances. once you find aload that patterns right you'll be dropping ducks in no time.

Hell my brother uses his old NEF singleshot and drops more ducks then I do.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by mallardman76
What is a good shotgun to get for duck hunting? Nothing over $700. What chamber size? I've been told to get a Remington 870 with a 3" chamber. What about the magnum 3 1/2" chamber? I am new to duck hunting.
That's it right there... The Remington 870 12GA with the 3" chamber. There is a "law" where everyone has to own one!

You can beat the crap out of an 870, drop it in the dirt, drag it through the mud, and it will still fire and still work fine. Heck, I know an old guy who I've been goose hunting with a few times, and he still has this ancient, 1956 Remington 870, that is all beat up, rust pits here and there, the stock is all dinged and scratched, and let me tell you... That ol' Rem 870 can still drop the geese right out of the air!
Old 08-19-2010, 06:16 PM
Spike

Thanks for all of the help! I appreciate all of the suggestions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.