Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Starting Out

Old 06-20-2010, 10:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Starting Out

Well I have been out goose hunting a few times and I have decided it is time to try it out this year. One of my buddies and I have decided to split the cost and buy some decoys and calls to get started. I'm looking for some good starter gear that is not too expensive. Don't need top of the line. Throw some brands or models at me that you would suggest. Thanks!
Old 06-21-2010, 04:06 AM
Fork Horn

Just better start looking at different web sites that sell water fowl gear. None of it is going to be what you call real cheap. It cost a lot to water fowl hunt.
Good Luck.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

I have found Great used gear on craigs list before maybe give that a try also I like Zink calls and Herters deeks But do have a few other brands in the mix that seem to work well also
Old 06-21-2010, 02:12 PM
JW
Super Moderator

The Greenhead brand of decoys hold up well to abuse. I use Deep River Goose Flute I like a bunch
I was given some custom calls from Prairie calls whichI like a whole lot more.

As HG said Craig's list and or e-bay is a good place to start. I ose a mixture of silloettes to full bodied to even some floaters for field - The Flocked head type decoys do make a difference at times.

JW
Old 07-09-2010, 01:59 PM
Fork Horn

Get a good book, so you understand geese, it will make it a lot easier to set up decoys correctly and call geese.