Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
full chokes for steel shot? >

full chokes for steel shot?

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

full chokes for steel shot?

Old 04-17-2010, 01:19 AM
Spike

Question full chokes for steel shot?

is it possible to buy a full choke that is rated for steel, im going to scotland in september and the geese up there need oxygen masks there so high up but your only allowed steel shot. ive got a benelli m2 auto 12g if anyone can help me out or post web sites that sells these chokes it would me much appreciated
Old 04-17-2010, 10:16 AM
Fork Horn

I have a full tube for my Mossberg 835 that is rated for steel. However It doesn't give me as nice a pattern as my modified. So they are available but I've not seen any besides the one I own personally.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

There's several after-market manufactures of choke tubes for waterfowling. Steel shot through a modified choke will pattern tighter than lead through the same choke.

Kick's has some good performing chokes for waterfowl applications. If you can get your hands on some of the heavier-than-lead shells, they may help reach out to those tall geese. They hit you hard in the wallet, but it's nice to have 2-3 boxes just in case.
Old 04-17-2010, 05:39 PM
Fork Horn

yes, if you have a full choke that is used for steel shot. i just use a modified.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:46 AM
Fork Horn

www.choketube.com
Old 04-18-2010, 02:47 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by ACutting
I have a full tube for my Mossberg 835 that is rated for steel. However It doesn't give me as nice a pattern as my modified. So they are available but I've not seen any besides the one I own personally.
is this down to the gram of shot you are using or is this a general rule with steel shot through tight chokes? im just worried if i use a 3/4 choke im not going to be able to get a good concentration of shot up there
Old 04-18-2010, 06:13 AM
Fork Horn

In my particular case it didn't matter what shells I ran through my full the modified patterned better. But honestly if you are after those high flying geese you'll want to get your hands on something such as Hevi-shot, its heavier than lead patterns great and hits hard. But it will definately hurt your back pocket. They do make some full choke tubes available for hevi-shot as well. I happen to have one of those as well for my 835 and it does hold a better pattern than my modified shooting the same hevi-shot loads. Good luck and have some fun though!
Old 04-19-2010, 11:49 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Cessna Flyer
this is a good web site but they dont ship to england only inside the usa il have to keep looking, i didnt realise they was so hard to get
Old 04-20-2010, 11:32 AM
Fork Horn

make sure you get the patternmaster choke tube tho. you can take quite a poke at some birds with those. i found a link a while back that sold them cheaper than anywhere else i've ever looked. shoot me a pm if you want me to try and find that link again.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:34 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Widgeonator
make sure you get the patternmaster choke tube tho. you can take quite a poke at some birds with those. i found a link a while back that sold them cheaper than anywhere else i've ever looked. shoot me a pm if you want me to try and find that link again.
just incase anyone else wanted the info, griebel outdoors has patternmasters for cheap. they usually run for around $100 each, but for my 12ga remington 870 it would cost me $80 for the long ranged tube either chrome or black. i think they may use paypal as well, so that's a plus. here's the link http://www.griebeloutdoors.com/index_files/Page1261.htm

they have a lot of low priced stuff on that site. great site.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.