Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
Decoying geese... Please help! >

Decoying geese... Please help!

Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Decoying geese... Please help!

Old 01-27-2010, 07:59 AM
Spike

Default Decoying geese... Please help!

ive really got my calling down lately. im getting pretty good at it and im doing a good job of bringing birds down to take a look, but i cant get them to decoy. im using a doz GHG shells with flocked heads and a dozen old school magnum shells that have definitely seen better days. haha. im hiding in a ditch on the edge of a corn field, no way the birds can see me. and im setting my decoys like this: consentration of decoys on edge of the corn be the ditch. and a runway sorta thing in the shape of a "V". the bottom of the v is where my consentration of decoys are. mostly feeders and semi-resters. 2 sentrys. any suggestions guys? i can bring em down low enough to pass shoot, but im having a really hard time getting them to decoy.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:53 PM
Spike

Default decoying geese with old dekes

you got a good hide, take your old dekes and put them out further from you, put all the good dekes close and concentrate the feeders where you want them to land. use a lot of low feeding growls and low moans. good luck and shoot em in the face!
Old 01-27-2010, 05:35 PM
Fork Horn

The birds in my area are grouped up into smaller families now, flocks around 8 to 12 birds. I set up my decoy spread to match that appearance. Also, this time of year it is hard to get bird to finish no matter what you do. They have been decoyed and shot at so much, you have to really be on top of your game. Full bodies have a better look to the birds this time of year. Another thing, you might want to do is limit your calling as much as you can.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:46 AM
Spike

Default New decoys no joke

i just found this website that has all kinds of covers for decoys. they have snows, canadians, blues, and etc. talked to the owner and they are planning on making all duck species too. they are going to be cheaper then the actual decoy. they allow you to change your canadians to snows in minutes and allow you to make huge spreads. the website shows the old product that the old owners had, they are redesigning them now and making them out of a dull spandex. the dull spandex allows them to make the most realistic birds, and eliminate the shine that regualr plastic decoys give off now, and the shine you get from the velvet heads that are old and set smashed. seriously check it out gooseglove.com
Old 01-28-2010, 03:31 PM
Spike

thanks guys ill give it a try! its mostly big flocks out here. 20+ birds.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:44 PM
Fork Horn

I've been noticing lately that mixing different decoys seems to be flaring the birds in my area. Also smaller groups have been working better both on the water and in the fields. Were using 8-10 decoys with good success. However as soon as we mixed two different types of decoys the birds immediately began to flare again both in the water or in the fields. It has nothign to do with one decoy is better than the other it just seems that because there are two types/looks of the decoy its not natural to them so they spook we can use the old decoys that don't look the best with great success as long as those are the only decoys were using. Just my thoughts for you try using only one type of decoy.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ACutting
I've been noticing lately that mixing different decoys seems to be flaring the birds in my area. Also smaller groups have been working better both on the water and in the fields. Were using 8-10 decoys with good success. However as soon as we mixed two different types of decoys the birds immediately began to flare again both in the water or in the fields. It has nothign to do with one decoy is better than the other it just seems that because there are two types/looks of the decoy its not natural to them so they spook we can use the old decoys that don't look the best with great success as long as those are the only decoys were using. Just my thoughts for you try using only one type of decoy.
I promise you it's not from having two different kinds of decoys. Probably just late season birds. If you keep having the problem, you might want to try to figure out what else is wrong. I have 23 dozen decoys and there are at least seven different types in my trailer. When I go with my buddy and throw his out with mine, we probably have ten different brands of decoys in our spread.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:01 AM
Spike

One thing that I feel is very important in setting up a goose decoy spread is give them something different. If you are not the hunters decoying geese in Northern Canada, chances are the geese you are hunting have been shot at before, and it doesn’t take geese very long to figure out that if there six dozen goose decoy shells in every field in the area that these are places to avoid. Take some time to look around the area that you hunt and see what everybody else is doing, and maybe try something a little different. This may mean using fewer and/or more decoys, using a different style of decoy body (full body instead of shells), using a different style of decoy layout (a random set instead of the fish hook), this just might be the difference in getting geese to come into your spread instead of the group of hunters in the next field.
================
powerdvd
web content management systems
Old 02-19-2010, 03:44 AM
Fork Horn

Some times if you can add a little motion to your set and not call as much they will come on in.