Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Iron Sides

Old 12-21-2009, 11:47 AM
Spike

Default Iron Sides

i dont know if its something in the water, but im having a heck of a time trying to kill canadians here in colorado. it seems like unless the birds are right on top of me, i cant get them to drop. just the other day i had a flight about 20 yards out. i put two rounds of 3" BB shot into one of the birds. it folded, dropped a few feet, but picked itself back up and managed to fly out of sight. ive been shooting the cheap winchester and remington loads you find at walmart and similar stores. ive been thinking about switching to heavy shot #2s. any other ideas? i have no problem hitting the birds, especially when they commit, i just cant seem to kill them and i tend to lose a lot of birds because of this.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

they probably are dieing, but your not there when they do....sounds like ya need a different choke or a heavier..(more brass) shot. keep us posted.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:57 AM
Fork Horn

I was wondering the same thing...what choke are you using? BB is plenty sufficient for killing geese by the way.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:02 PM
Spike

Angry

im shooting mod. i cant even break wings on these birds. i hit em, they fall a couple yards, they pick back up, and i wave good-bye. the canadians must have some serious armor technology....
Old 12-23-2009, 03:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

The issue isn't your choke or your shell or your shot. Its hard to kill a goose DOA with a front on or side body shot using anything less than hevi or high density shot.

The key to this, much like shooting a turkey, is you need to shoot them in the head.

I like to shoot #2 or #4 STEEL for decoying geese. Just think of a goose's head like a clay bird and you'll start dropping them like rain. Remember too that they are flying right much faster than you might think. Its hard to do, but try and take your time and make sure you are following through.... if you swing out in front of the head but still shoot back, then you are probably aiming and not swinging..... seriously, its easy to get trapped in to, and it happens to me too frequently unless I actively think about it.

The other thing that I have had issue with and you might be experiencing the same thing, is that after the first shot goes off... the birds are all rising again. I have a devil of a time hitting rising birds.... I get in front of them... but not high enough above them. Lots of the time I'll knock a pillowcase full out of them... but its all from the tail and breast.... which does no one any good.

Best advice I got on this other than to shoot at the head is that on a rising bird if you can see it.... then you won't kill it. Start getting ahead and rising up until you blot out the head and I suspect you'll start killing them dead on the spot. Good luck.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

You've got plenty of whomp with BB to bring down geese, but I've become a convert to a little smaller shot, #2 being my preference. I've found that more holes is better than bigger holes. With a #2, those birds can't get out of the way of that pattern, and you are more likely to do more damage to more parts of the bird with it. I shoot a Patternmaster choke, and it seems to be a nasty combo. I'm in the same boat as Swampcollie though, on those birds that are rising, I have a hell of a time not hitting them square in the ass. When they are coming in though, put that bead right on the smiler and let'em have it.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:58 AM
Spike

thanks guys! ive been trying to get head shots but it seems to be a lot easier said than done. i always end up hitting em center mass. maqybe i need to go shoot a round or two of clays before i waste more money not killin birds. haha.