Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

How's My Spread?

Old 11-04-2009, 07:02 AM
Spike

Default How's My Spread?

This is my duck hunting spread, we have been getting a few loners every night but the ducks dont hit it hard till right at dark... which is like 45 minutes after shooting hours. There is a mojo stick right under the tree in the middle that is closer to the ducks than it looks like we just didnt have it set up until then... Please give me your input on what you guys think of it
Attached Thumbnails How's My Spread?-spread.jpg  
Old 11-04-2009, 06:50 PM
Spike

are you standing in the blind? if your Mojo is more that about 45 yards away its too far.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:09 PM
Typical Buck

I would put my dekes in a more U shaped pattern and away from the blind on othe other side of the hole.. Ducks will land into the wind and will tend not to fly over ducks on water so that any ducks that leave will others are landing won't collide.. You should put your dekes where you don't want the ducks to land and so that as the ducks land into the wind and into the U shaped opening you have a good shot..
Old 11-05-2009, 04:02 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by cjwink View Post
I would put my dekes in a more U shaped pattern and away from the blind on othe other side of the hole.. Ducks will land into the wind and will tend not to fly over ducks on water so that any ducks that leave will others are landing won't collide.. You should put your dekes where you don't want the ducks to land and so that as the ducks land into the wind and into the U shaped opening you have a good shot..

I agree with most everything said here other than youll want to have the U open away from you and have your Mojo set up in one of the 'arms' of the set. also set up your blind off set lined up with one of the arms so when the ducks come in they are not looking right at you. also wind at your back

Last edited by deer slayer Jr.; 11-05-2009 at 04:06 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:03 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by brasmunky View Post
are you standing in the blind? if your Mojo is more that about 45 yards away its too far.
No im downstream, we're off to the left of the picture about 8-10 yards from the mojo.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just my .02 cents but I agree with more of a J shape to let an opening and not have the ducks fly directly over the dekes. I'd then put my mojo on the end to make it look like a duck landing on the outside. Here's sort of what I mean but it's tough with the pic. An arial photo would have been easier. The green dot is the mojo and I'm guessing the blue dot is where your blind is.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:09 PM
Spike

yeah that's our blind. we've found a small pond a few hundred yards from it and ducks have been hitting it pretty hard
Old 11-11-2009, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

If the ducks aren't hitting it until after dark, I'd head for a food source. Your decoys can be laid out perfect but if the ducks are feeding in a field, what good is it?? Take your robo and a few full bodies and head to the nearest cut corn field, or try your set up where you are, in the morning hours.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:29 PM
Spike

ya it seems to be better in the morning but i think i might try my corn fields that my family owns. maybe get a few geese also