Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Shotgun cleaning

Old 08-06-2009, 09:50 PM
Spike

Default Shotgun cleaning

How often do you guys clean your shotgun? After every hunt? Or do you go like a week without doing a full cleaning job?
Old 08-07-2009, 05:54 AM
Spike

wiped down wit oil every hunt inside cleaned every 2 or 3 hunts
Old 08-07-2009, 06:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I give mine a complete cleaning after every time I hunt or shoot clays. Unless, I'm hunting in the all day, then I'll wait until that night.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:13 AM
Banned

I have one of those long cleaning rods with the cotton material on it, i guess its called a gun mop! I run that down the barrel and make sure its oiled up after each time i use it! Remember a clean gun is an accurate gun! also if the gun is used dirty more often then not your going to wear out internals of the gun quicker! Metal on metal is never a good thing, espeacilly if your shooting a semi! Pumps you can get away with it a little more, but not much!!! When the semi's get dirty they dont cycle properly and thats when the aggravation comes into play!!!
Old 08-07-2009, 08:53 AM
Spike

Clean it after every time I shoot it. I clean out and oil up the barrel, internal workings, and if I have a wood stock I oil up the stock too.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:31 AM
Fork Horn

I clean every time.

p.s. Don't trust your friends to clean your gun. I know from experience.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:23 PM
Spike

One 50-year veteran shooter will hardly ever clean his over/under. He’ll go shoot birds in Argentina with a dirty shotgun, spend a few days shooting 4,000 rounds or so -- and just keep on shooting without a drop of Hoppe’s ever touching it.

Then there are shotgun owners with semi-automatics that need to give it a good cleaning every 300 rounds or so.

And then of course there are shooters who clean their shotguns after a few rounds of skeet.

What’s right? What’s wrong? Well, it depends.

In this section you learn the ins and outs of proper shotgun care…

The importance of a clean shotgun
Products that do the job

Let’s air the dirty truth: there are shotgunners who never (or hardly ever) clean their guns. Some consider it a badge of honor, a nod to days gone by.

So if you’re looking for permission to shoot a dirty shotgun, you have it. And you’d be in pretty good company because many of these diehards are mighty fine shots and very comfortable in their own skin.

On the other hand, if you prefer a clean shotgun, there are more products than you can ever imagine to help you get the job done right. Some products are specific to a gauge (like bore snakes, tornado brushes and wool mops.) Others are universal (solvents, patches, polishes and lubricants).
Old 02-11-2010, 02:14 PM
Fork Horn

I think it be best if cleaned every time.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I usually clean mine once before season, and depending on how dirty it gets maybe once during season. I have let it get so bad that it would not even cycle shells before. Just keep an eye on it if there starts to get to be excessive dirt or powder build up it should be cleaned.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've been told that;

"Cleaning your gun is way over-rated"

Snakes work great on smooth bores !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.