Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Need help with chokes!!

Old 07-19-2009, 01:22 PM
Fork Horn

Default Need help with chokes!!

Hello, I am a long time deer hunter with rifle and bow but today I went out and bought my first shotgun. A Benelli Nova 12 GA 26". Unfortunatly, I know absolutely nothing about hunting birds or the purpose of particular chokes. The gun came with a full, modified and Improved cylinder chokes. What choke should i use for dove, duck, and geese and why. Also, when i am camping and want to put in 00B for defense from bear and such, what choke should i use then. I would really appreciate any help yall could give me. Thanks alot. -Jimmy
Old 07-19-2009, 02:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

With the chokes you have, improved is the most open pattern. The modified is a little tighter and the full is the tightest pattern.

Dove- improved

ducks and geese- improved or modified {the better shot you are the tighter the pattern you can get away with) If you are hunting teal, use the improved for sure.

00B- full (a lot of people have different opinons on this one)
Old 07-19-2009, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would go with the modified for the birds. That is what i use all the time. cant help you on the buck shot since i have never shot the stuff.
Old 07-19-2009, 06:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Shoot your gun at a piece of paper with each choke.

Shoot from the same distance and use the same ammo.

Then you will know better than any of us.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:29 AM
Fork Horn

if your looking to buy a good high quality choke, buy a patternmaster. It is a very tight pattern and you can really do some good shooting with them. i use mine for absolutely everything.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:52 AM
Banned

I would use the modified for Doves, Personally i think the improved cylinder is to big a spread for bird hunting!
Although Big steel shot such as BB which is what i use for geese does pattern pretty well out of an improved cylinder!
I use full for shooting Block shoots for a tight pattern!
I use improved for trap!
If you want a good good waterfowl choke go with a patternmaster or Kicks choke! Make sure you get the right one for your specific gun! not all chokes are univeral and if you try to force it, you will mess up the thread! Dont do that!
it goes like this
Improved (BIG SPREAD)
Modified (Pretty open) Best overall in my opinion!
Full (Tight pattern)