Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

migration

Old 01-02-2009, 01:49 PM

Default migration

how many see less and less birds every year no matter how cold the weather is are our migration routes changing in the last 10 years the birds that come through Ky on the Ohio river just seem to be disapearingare any of you seeing the same thing. our season is over about the time it gets deacent.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: migration

We still have quite a few ducks down here, but nothing like it used to be. Ever since 2000, the numbers have been way down. There is more to it than the weather. Before 2000, even in mild weather, we would kill ducks. It's not like that anymore. The ducks have so many refuges down the flyway they don't have to migrate like they used to. They can sit and feed all year without ever being shot at.I believe man has altered the natural migration. Down here DU is taboo to most hunters. Of course It's not all DU's fault. I personally don't think there are as many ducks as there used to be. I'm having a good year so far, but I have had some poor ones since 2000.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:35 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: riverboss

how many see less and less birds every year no matter how cold the weather is are our migration routes changing in the last 10 years the birds that come through Ky on the Ohio river just seem to be disapearingare any of you seeing the same thing. our season is over about the time it gets deacent.

agreed, right now here in kentucky we have hardly no birds... an ur right the time season goes out is when it gets good around here.. wish they wud start season around christmas an run it through febuary.... but ohwell wat do i know.. we kill 6 a day pretty much.. not good at all
Old 01-03-2009, 09:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Some years the season hits right , like last year
This year we went for warm and no ducks to COLDER than ^%$$() and the big push of ducks bypassed us

But we got another push right at the end again

IMO you are probely not seeing ducks because the season didn't hit right for you

John
Old 01-04-2009, 06:22 AM

no the mirgration hasnt missed us i have friends that live in ohio- indiana- and all over ky that hunt every day we call each other when were hunting there just arent as many birds as they say there is .we havent had enough cold weather to push the birds past us there are almost no divers around and we havent seen any buffel heads in 8 yearsweuse to love to watch them.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:00 AM

i live in east pa and i don't see that much ducks but its always been that way but i see so many geese and birds ev