Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Cooking Questions

Old 12-09-2008, 08:40 AM

Default Cooking Questions

I was wondering if anyone know's any good recipies for Ringneck Ducks? We have tried several and they have not turned out up to par. Any help would be appreciated
Old 12-10-2008, 01:10 PM
Spike

Default RE: Cooking Questions

We don't get greenheads down here in South Florida. Ringers are our main staple when it comes to south florida hunting. Make some sausage with Ringnecks. Awesome stuff.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Cooking Questions

Differnt folks will tell you different things. Of course, there are people who eat some pretty odd stuff in this world. But Ringnecks, or Jacks or Blackheads... whatever... are pretty decent table fair as far as divers go. Like everything, its all the prep.

I personally find that puddle ducks belong on the grill, and divers belong in a vat of frying oil.

Here is what I do for divers:

Breast the meat off the bone... cut away all the skin and all the fat (thats where the nasty taste is at). I like to cut the inner breast (some call it the tender or tenderloin) away from the rest of the chunk, and then cut the outer piece in two. You'll get six pieces from each duck, three from each side ofbreast.

You can do this one of two ways... you can use an egg/milk to stick your breader with, or my favorite is using Guildens spicy brown mustard, so I'll explain that one here.

Take a large plastic bag (gallon ziplock works fine) and dump in your duck pieces. Take some Guidens SPicy Brown Mustard and squirt in a good amount.... shake the bag up until all the duck pieces are well coated in mustard.

Next, you'll need either House-Autry Seafood Breader (if you like mild) or Spicy and Hot if youlike some heat. House-Autry is a major national brand like Pillsbury and Gen Mills... so it shouldn't be any trouble to find at any supermarket. Take another plastic bag.... add the mustard coated duck pieces and about a cup of breader per 18 pieces of duck. Shake it up until its coated.

Now, this is important.... USE PEANUT OIL.... fry them until they float and/or are nice andgolden brown. Great finger food/party food... awesome for the super bowl.... great with beer.