Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Goose Call Materials

Old 10-16-2008, 08:07 AM
Fork Horn

Default Goose Call Materials

I currently have a Knight n Hale Pitboss goose call. I recently dropped it and it cracked the bell of the call.. Now i am in the market for a new one. I am wanting to get a nice call. What is the difference in sound/pitch from like an ABS, polycarbonate, Coco Bola type calls? I have been trying to do some research and can't find much. Any body have experience with any types?
Old 10-16-2008, 08:17 AM

Default RE: Goose Call Materials

can't really tell you the different sound/pitch on each kind you would have to experiment yourself. I myself have acrylic calls and they sound great. If your interested i also have a Zink moneymaker for sale. let me know
Old 10-16-2008, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not a real hardcore goose hunter; i cant tell you exactly how they sound. I think I can help a little however. In duck calls, a wood call has a much softer, more nasally tone to it. However, wood tends to swell around moisture; keep that in mind. Acrylics/polycarbs are denser than wood, won't swell, and have a much sharper and louder tone to them.

I'm pretty sure that the same tone characteristics apply to goose calls... after all the stuff the call is made of doesnt know if it is a mallard or a goose call... it'll react the same as it would a duck call.

I have a Zink power clucker PC-1, and that one sounds decent. My buddy has a buck gardner, and that one has a good tone as well. If you're looking for a high dollar goose call, look at Jeff Foiles goose calls... those sound excellent.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:40 AM
Fork Horn

Yea i am looking at a Tim Grounds acrylic goose call.. I am really not wanting to spend more than $100.. Just wasn't for sure which material and really what brand of call.