Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 My Opener (Michigan South Zone) [pics] >

My Opener (Michigan South Zone) [pics]

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

My Opener (Michigan South Zone) [pics]

Old 10-12-2008, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default My Opener (Michigan South Zone) [pics]

Well, after quiet the interesting solo opening hunt, I'm ready for the rest of the season. Woke up at 4:30 to get out on a small private lake that few people have access to. About 15 acres big and people have duck hunted it before but I figured I could beat them to it atleast.

Heading through a 300 yard channel, with a tight fit, at about 5:15 with heavy fog is a little erie. Specially when a beaver comes up and attacks the boat . I guess I was invading his den space a little to much and he slapped my boat with his tail and hit it with his claws. Couldn't believe it.

Ge the dekes setup and wait for about an hour. Shooting time was 7:11 + 6 minutes. Look at my watch, 7:10. Look to a corner of the lake and see another flashlight coming through the channel. Uh oh...

We worked things out QUICKLY and he setup on a side of the lake. I was shooting ducks while he was setting up! I forgot how much fun it is to see ducks bank and head right for your landing zone.

Due to some terrible shooting, and embarassment by some speed flyers, I mananaged a Wood Duck and a Bluebill Hen (I'm quiet positive). I Identified the duck as that but it looked a little different in person than I was expecting.

Seen a few flocks of Wood Ducks, only one flock of Mallards, and they were on a mission.

Lastly, as I was pushing the boat off to pick up the deke a CO walked from the creek behind and tapped me on the shoulder, asking for my licenses and etc. He was quiet rude about things, they just seem to be unfriendly? I was a-ok, and on my way out. I heard splashing in the creek behind me at about 8 am and left at 10:30. He told me he just showed up, I know he was waiting there behind me, the whole time, hoping I would over shoot, or illegally shoot a bird. I can see why people talk poorly of them. It seemed like the was talking complete nonsense in order to make me spill some information.

Anyway, enjoy the pics, beautiful morning!

Had a little grebe come in before shooting hours that became my best friend. He added great realism to my spread!!! He even stuck with me through the shooting!

And the best picture I have seen.

And the game bag.
Old 10-12-2008, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: My Opener (Michigan South Zone) [pics]

Awesome hunt man! That second pic is beautiful with the changing leaves and all. Reading about yalls hunts gets me so PUMPED for the season to open!
Old 10-12-2008, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats. Nice story and pics.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I missed the opener, and will be hitting it today.. Congrats and have a good season.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:21 AM

The wardens tend to do that man..........congrats on the hunt.