Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Picking Decoys

Old 09-11-2008, 12:04 PM

Default Picking Decoys

Ok...so I will say right off the bat that this is my first hunting season ever. I am wondering what type of teal decoys to get if I could only choose one. Dont have the money to get two dozen or i would get green and blue. My brother has a couple dozen mallard decoys and we were wanting something to mix it up with. For the early teal season....should I go with a dozen blue or green teal decoys?
Old 09-11-2008, 12:14 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Picking Decoys

Dozen Green Wing.

Welcome to the forum and to the sport. You're gonna have a hard time finding something you enjoy more than waterfowling and talking about it.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:16 PM

That is what my brother keeps telling me...I plan on getting into dove too. But planning my first teal outing this saturday in Missouri. Thanks for the advice! I greatly appreciate it.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:22 PM
Fork Horn

i say green wing as well... good luck and welcome
Old 09-11-2008, 12:27 PM

Thanks again for the advice.....any other advice would be helpful too....like i said,I am really new to hunting period. Does anyone know anything about the hunting conditions in Missouri this year so far?
Old 09-11-2008, 12:38 PM

Oh and one more question....I have noticed that some places sell different green teal decoys. Some I guess have them i later season color with the yellow on the chest. Will that make a difference? Is one better than the other? Or are they both more effective early or late in the season?
Old 09-11-2008, 07:46 PM

just get greenhead gear teal dekes they are $20 for 6 and thats all you should need.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:15 PM
Fork Horn

Greenhead Gear makes some nice looking ones. They most closely resemble a real teal in my opinion. You can check them out at Mack's Prairie Wings. http://www.mackspw.com/ItemList--Gre...d-Teals--m-776 You don't need a full dozen, but it won't hurt either.

Teal come in wads of several birds at a time. Their call is a very distinct "peep." I have had good luck with teal in the early and late season hunting them in timber or along the banks and eddy holes of rivers. If you can find an patch of water or an oxbow in some flooded timber or in a river bottom, you'll be into some ducks. They'll generally fly out over your hole seemingly at the speed of light (they actually make a "whoosh" sound as they pass), turn on a dime, and light somewhere within 15-30 yards of the bank/shore. They'll cluster up and hang out for a while. Therefore, I like to set up teal spreads in loose clusters. I'll put 3-5 together in one spot and put another 3-5 spot. Just hang out and let the decoys do the work. I generally let them decoy before I get to shooting. If they light into the decoys, either take a crack at one on the water (someone's gonna grill me for telling you to shoot a duck on the water ) and the rest will get up like a bunch of Titan missiles and hopefully you can connect with your second and third shots. An alternative to actually shooting one on the water is to say, "Hey!" or grunt like you're trying to stop a moving deer. Their heads will all pop up and come to attention, they'll either cluster up or sit still as statues. A second, "Hey!" and they'll get up and you better have the gun ready.

Sorry for the novel, your question just got me thinking about it. Good luck to you buddy.

Oh, almost forgot the doves.

Chapter 2, Best way to get after some doves is to buddy up with someone with a "dove field," which usually entails sunflowers or some grain cut into loosely organized rows. Take a couple boxes of shells (three boxes if you're a bad shot), get a stool, pick a spot where you can see the horizon, and just sit still. Shoot them when they come along. Doves are fast-fliers, but skeet shooting can improve your success and train you on leading birds.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:57 PM

thanks a lot! That will help me out loads. I really appreciate the help.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:57 AM

Just got back from the first hunt of my career.....it was moderately dissapointing. Didn't see a single duck...we gave that up about 9 and tried for some dove. We only saw one and we both missed it. But on the way home we saw 60 of them on the power lines...so my new plan is to shoot them off the power lines. Any advice? We were at a place in St. Louis for the duck and Bush wildlife for the doves. If you are from around Missouri and know of anything better, I would appreciate the tips. Thanks guys. I didnt get to test the grunting strategy, but I will give it a try as soon as i get the chance. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Picking Decoys

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.